UUgghhh..SPAMMERS MUST DIE!!!!!!

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Not just this site my club's forum has been flooded with spammers, mostly pron.

Nice. What a waste of time, and effort, on their behalf and mine (as an Admin)
Sheesh I hope this wave just passes fast.

Sometimes they do sometimes they don't.

Just venting.

Mark :mad:

James L

Basic User
City
Lake Forest
State
CA
Solution to your pain

Mark, talk to the Prime Minister. We had the same problem on the SoCal site until he made a software upgrade. Now hardly anything.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
it's been really awful lately, we're trying to keep on it and there's a software upgrade in the works...

RJCJ-8

SOA Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Rome
State
GA
Tell me about it.
I've deleted more posts and banned more users in the past 5 days than in the past couple of years.
:mad: :mad:

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
RJCJ-8 said:
Tell me about it.
I've deleted more posts and banned more users in the past 5 days than in the past couple of years.
:mad: :mad:
Damn, me too, so between us we're really tearing it up... got at least 10 today.

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Filters are only so efficient, the spam can still get through.

Hopefully less!!

Keep up the good work guys.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
What's also annoying is that there appear to be a ton of other spammers that register with fake email accounts, so their registration confirmation emails bounce and we get them at the info@ email address and have to sort through to see if any of them are legitimate people with real issues. :rolleyes:

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
My buddy accidentally "allowed" one of those on the SNORT board, lot's of hot chicks with bad english started posting :D

Be careful!!

LOL

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
bigwalton said:
it's been really awful lately, we're trying to keep on it and there's a software upgrade in the works...
Is it practical to have a board moderator/administrator manually review and approve new people that register?

(That is, ignore certain new registrants).

Yes, some legitimate people won't get registered, but they will complian/follow-up with an email to the webmaster... they could then be approved.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It's one of the things we've considered, but it was always seen as too much of a deterrent to legitimate folks.

With this latest load of crap, maybe that needs to be reassessed.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
CJ-8_Jim said:
Is it practical to have a board moderator/administrator manually review and approve new people that register?
This is what we just did and it's working perfectly thus far other than slowing things down a little on the registration approvals.

Turns out that the older versions of vbulletin got hacked and the automated spam bots were able to decode the graphic captcha thing where you have to type the letters/numbers from the picture.

Only thing to do is turn on the admin approval of new users or upgrade. Admin approval seems to have stopped it all cold today. :thumbsup: