Valid Vin number

reflector

City
Los Alamos
State
NM
Yes, I'm new to forums. I'm purchasing a 1983 CJ8 but am wondering about validity of Vin number and how to decode numbers. The Vin is 1JCCL88E5DT001795. I also have info from seller of numbers J172376 88 and 06 3B 1BA on firewall. I found one site on web that when Vin entered replied invalid number. Jeep is in Texas and I'm in New Mexico trying to do purchase. Am raising 4 grand kids and thought this would be a fun project for us. Thanks for any help you can give.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Yes, I'm new to forums. I'm purchasing a 1983 CJ8 but am wondering about validity of Vin number and how to decode numbers. The Vin is 1JCCL88E5DT001795. I also have info from seller of numbers J172376 88 and 06 3B 1BA on firewall. I found one site on web that when Vin entered replied invalid number. Jeep is in Texas and I'm in New Mexico trying to do purchase. Am raising 4 grand kids and thought this would be a fun project for us. Thanks for any help you can give.
This is from the FSM for decoding the VIN:
SCRAMBLER VIN.PNG
Here is some info on the other tag:
SCRAMBLER TAG.PNG

It looks like the "L" may be causing your "invalid number" on the search. :shrug:

reflector

City
Los Alamos
State
NM
Thanks a lot. This Scrambler shows to have approx. 70K origional miles. If it's correct miles, I think it will be a really good one. Also been kept under shed roof on ranch. I think after more research the L may signify a 5 speed on the floor transmission.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Did you get a picture of both the dash vin and the cowl tag? Does the vin number portion of both tags match?

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Mine is a 4 cylinder 5 speed from the factory, and starts out 1JCBN88EXCT******

The ‘82 Technical Service Manual lists the following transmissions for CJ’s:

M - 4 Speed Manual, Floor, Part Time T-case
G - 4 Speed Manual, Floor, Full Time T-case
H - 4 Speed Manual, Floor, Part or Full Time T-case
B - Automatic Floor, Part Time T-case
C - Automatic Floor, Full Time T-case
K - Automatic Floor, Part or Full Time T-case
E - Automatic Column, Part Time T-case
A - Automatic Column, Full Time T-case
J - Automatic Column, Part or Full Time T-case
W - 5 Speed Manual, Floor, No T-case
F - 5 Speed Manual, Floor, Part T-case
P - 5 Speed Manual, Floor, Full T-case
N - 5 Speed Manual, Floor, Part or Full T-case

I’d suggest getting a picture of the VIN tag on the windshield by the wiper motor, a photo of the trim tag on the firewall, a picture of the certification label on the body panel by the driver’s seat base, and if possible a picture of the frame above the right rear axle near the cross member that holds the rear brake line fitting (front of gas tank support). The last vin location is only a partial and should only have JC00**** (last 4 are the last 4 of the sequential number). Not sure what the second, third and fourth represent. My 4 cyl frame has a C, but my replacement frame has the second digit as B. My vin for the 4 cyl has a 5 digit sequence number, but only the last 4 are stamped on the frame. The 3rd and 4th digits are 00, same as my replacement frame. My ‘83 Overlander frame only has 7 digits JC0****. Not sure why it only has 7 digits while the ‘82 and the replacement frame both have 8 digits. :shrug:

I have found no documentation of an L type transmission.

reflector

City
Los Alamos
State
NM
Did you get a picture of both the dash vin and the cowl tag? Does the vin number portion of both tags match?
Yes both match. I was mistaken in that the M looked like an L on Vehicle ID Plate which according to (Tom "Ol Jeep" Collin) would make trani a 5 speed but it was an M. I read some where that the 4 speed was more desirable.
So hopefully that's true.

reflector

City
Los Alamos
State
NM
Mine is a 4 cylinder 5 speed from the factory, and starts out 1JCBN88EXCT******

The ‘82 Technical Service Manual lists the following transmissions for CJ’s:

M - 4 Speed Manual, Floor, Part Time T-case
G - 4 Speed Manual, Floor, Full Time T-case
H - 4 Speed Manual, Floor, Part or Full Time T-case
B - Automatic Floor, Part Time T-case
C - Automatic Floor, Full Time T-case
K - Automatic Floor, Part or Full Time T-case
E - Automatic Column, Part Time T-case
A - Automatic Column, Full Time T-case
J - Automatic Column, Part or Full Time T-case
W - 5 Speed Manual, Floor, No T-case
F - 5 Speed Manual, Floor, Part T-case
P - 5 Speed Manual, Floor, Full T-case
N - 5 Speed Manual, Floor, Part or Full T-case

I’d suggest getting a picture of the VIN tag on the windshield by the wiper motor, a photo of the trim tag on the firewall, a picture of the certification label on the body panel by the driver’s seat base, and if possible a picture of the frame above the right rear axle near the cross member that holds the rear brake line fitting (front of gas tank support). The last vin location is only a partial and should only have JC00**** (last 4 are the last 4 of the sequential number). Not sure what the second, third and fourth represent. My 4 cyl frame has a C, but my replacement frame has the second digit as B. My vin for the 4 cyl has a 5 digit sequence number, but only the last 4 are stamped on the frame. The 3rd and 4th digits are 00, same as my replacement frame. My ‘83 Overlander frame only has 7 digits JC0****. Not sure why it only has 7 digits while the ‘82 and the replacement frame both have 8 digits. :shrug:

I have found no documentation of an L type transmission.

reflector

City
Los Alamos
State
NM
Yes both match. I was mistaken in that the M looked like an L on Vehicle ID Plate which according to (Tom "Ol Jeep" Collin) would make trani a 5 speed but it was an M. I read some where that the 4 speed was more desirable.
So hopefully that's true.
I found a site (TOM "OLJEEP" COLLINS) that specified L as a 5 speed trani but both Vin and Vehicle agree on 5th place being a M (4 speed trani). I hope that trani a desirable one. I found two 4 speeds in a that era, a T176 and a T177. Vehicle should be delivered to me Wednesday the 18th.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Just FYI, there were 4 manual transmissions offered from the factory in scramblers SR4, T4, T5 and T176 (identified by a straight shifter). The T5 is basically a T4 with an overdrive. Only the T176 is desirable from a strength standpoint.

reflector

City
Los Alamos
State
NM
Just FYI, there were 4 manual transmissions offered from the factory in scramblers SR4, T4, T5 and T176 (identified by a straight shifter). The T5 is basically a T4 with an overdrive. Only the T176 is desirable from a strength standpoint.
Is there an easy way of determining if it would be the T176? I'm thinking there would be a stamp somewhere on transmission. Would I be correct?

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Is there an easy way of determining if it would be the T176? I'm thinking there would be a stamp somewhere on transmission. Would I be correct?
What does the shifter look like? Is it straight and tall, like a tractor trailer shifter? That would be a T176.

If it has a dog leg, then it's either the SR4 (worst) or T4 (middle ground). Position of reverse would differentiate these two. Down and right, T4. Up and...right, or left, I can't recall, SR4.

reflector

City
Los Alamos
State
NM
What does the shifter look like? Is it straight and tall, like a tractor trailer shifter? That would be a T176.

If it has a dog leg, then it's either the SR4 (worst) or T4 (middle ground). Position of reverse would differentiate these two. Down and right, T4. Up and...right, or left, I can't recall, SR4.