Value of paint job for resell

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
I am toying with getting a paint job done to my Scrambler. Being here in Phoenix there is very little rusting going on yet I see surface rust appearing after 5 years of sitting outside in the AZ sun as the PO's cheap paint job is starting to go. This Jeep is no show Jeep as I never intended to make it one thinking the last improvement I make would be exterior paint. I've had a local paint shop fill in some small holes and dents with Bondo so the exterior now has that urban-ghetto look as I call it with Palomino patches of gray Bondo and white paint. My teenage daughter tells me not to repaint it as she says it looks like I use it; not a mall cruiser. The Jeep was always intended to be a go anywhere, not worry about the paint/body damage of back roads usage. It has severed me very well in that regard. Now I'm looking at selling it and thinking maybe a refreshed paint job would add resell value to the Jeep. What you guys think?

Last edited:

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
I don't have any specific evidence to prove it but, in general I'd expect to NOT get back what you put into it, to include paint..

From an "enthusiast's" perspective... I, for one, would rather see an unpainted/tarnished original when I shop, as then I have a better idea of what I'm getting into.. fresh paint always makes me wonder what is hiding :shrug

That said, you might find a non-enthusiast that just wants a decent driver and is more interested in less work..

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
I would think that a jeep from az and picture of before it was painted would squash the not knowing what the paint was hidding. The problem is a good quality paint job can range from $2-5k easy. If you know someone that does good work that could get it done for $2k I would say it would help it sell. Any more than $2k and you probably lose money. If the Scrambler is multi color like you say its the first thing people will know they have to do to the Jeep.

CrazyBen

Legacy Registered User
City
Misawa Japan
State
JP
Jim if you are ready to sell it, shoot me a PM with an asking price. I am looking for a project scrambler.