• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Vanco Hydroboost brakes

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Anybody use these or know anything about these? Wanting to upgrade my brakes. Already have disks up front but not giving me the power I would desire... http://www.vancopbs.com/product_p/6.htm

Also considering a 12" disk upgrade from Willwood. Brakes seem to be something that should be higher on my priority list early on. Seems best to buy the right thing first. Stock narrow track axles (don't know if the front disks are factory or an add on kit...)

Advice, thoughts, input, etc???

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
My 82 had hydro boost that was leaking, so I replaced the unit with one from Vanco. The first one I got was bad, but they supported the product and sent me a replacement.

I have jeep front calibers and ssbc rear calipers. I've replaced all hard lines and put in a adjustable pro portioning valve. Also put in a new master cylinder, corvette style.

How we'll does it work with my 35 inch tires? Very well. The system is extremely well balanced, has perfect pedal feel and pressure.

There is a big difference in vehicles, but the Jeep has almost more fine feel than my boxster. If you want to stop in a big hurry, no problem.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
aluke0510;Stock narrow track axles (don't know if the front disks are factory or an add on kit...) Advice said:
Disc brakes started in 77 as an option and were standard in 78
( pretty sure. !)

Sent from my iPhone

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I made my own Hydroboost system. Got it free from a buddy who was parting out an 80s Chev 1 ton pickup.
I love them! I can very easily (if needed) lock up my 37s at highway speed. Very well mannered.
Basically exactly what Ghostwave said above. Except the Boxster part. The only Porsche we have is our 61 Beetle. ;)

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
My 82 had hydro boost that was leaking, so I replaced the unit with one from Vanco. The first one I got was bad, but they supported the product and sent me a replacement.

I have jeep front calibers and ssbc rear calipers. I've replaced all hard lines and put in a adjustable pro portioning valve. Also put in a new master cylinder, corvette style.

How we'll does it work with my 35 inch tires? Very well. The system is extremely well balanced, has perfect pedal feel and pressure.

There is a big difference in vehicles, but the Jeep has almost more fine feel than my boxster. If you want to stop in a big hurry, no problem.

How is the braking after an engine stall. The website says the hydroboost has better performance than the hydroboostII system. This seems to be the major downside to the system?

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
the brakes are manual (unassisted) when engine is not running.
I prefer to drive my Jeep with the engine running. Its not often I drive it with the engine off, but when I do, the Jeep still stops just requires a bit more effort. Still totally worth it.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I prefer to drive my Jeep with the engine running. Its not often I drive it with the engine off, but when I do, the Jeep still stops just requires a bit more effort. Still totally worth it.
You drive it with the engine running? Why didn't I think of that? I'll have to give it a try.:cheers:

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ

Thanks, my question is really directed for Ghostwave as he has direct experience with the Vanco system.

As stated on the website: "Hydroboost - This unit puts out 2,500-2,700 lbs of pressure. It has a nitrogen chamber that allows for emergency stopping after the vehicle stalls. It can be used on any vehicle, however we recommend only using this booster and not the Hydroboost II if you have D44 axles or bigger or 36-53 inch tires as you need the extra power. This unit is 4.5 inches in diameter, with the 2-inch accumulator sticking out towards the engine at the 7 o’clock position."

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Sorry I should list why. You are on a hill and stall. Last thing you want is to not be able to stop and go plummeting backwards into a rock or tree, etc...

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
Since this is a safety issue, let me try to db very up front.

I have not (had the chance) to have this jeep out on any trails. I've spent the last year getting it running well. That said, I had a spell where I had an ignition heat soak issue that would cause the engine to quit unexpectedly. I can say definitively that there is enough residual pressure to get safely to the side of the road from 50 mph. I believe somewhere they say there is one to two pedals of pressure left. That should be enough, but make your own decisions.

Or as the most interesting jeeper in the world would say. I do not always stop with a dead engine, but when I do, I do it in one press of the pedal.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Thanks, my question is really directed for Ghostwave as he has direct experience with the Vanco system.
."

I have Hydroboost on my Scrambler. It wasnt made by Vanco but it is EXACTLY the same a Vancos system. Vancos Hydroboost system are all GM parts.

Like i said, when the engine is not running, you still have brakes, they are just not assisted. Do you really think any manufacturer would sell a brake system that wouldnt work when the engine isnt running?

Again, the brakes work when the engine is off.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Like i said, when the engine is not running, you still have brakes, they are just not assisted.

That's not exactly true. The accumulator(if it's working correctly) will give you full assist on the first pedal application and 50% on the second. After that it is similar to manual brakes.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Yes this is true and this is why everyone thinks hydroboost is bad. They think that after the accumulator is empty they wont have any brakes.
This is why i say manual brakes with no engine. Less confusion that why.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
What size tires are you running? Are you going to be heavy wheeling. I felt similarly about my original brakes so I went to the Navajo Dual Diaphragm. Very happy. It's never failed to stop me on the way to get ice cream. Just an option if your needs aren't as extreme.

Vulcan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ruidoso
State
NM
Sorry I should list why. You are on a hill and stall. Last thing you want is to not be able to stop and go plummeting backwards into a rock or tree, etc...

Been there, and it's not fun. I had a hydra-boost system from Elliot, (he's on ebay and FSJ forum) and had some ignition issues and stalled on about a 12% grade gravel road out near my shop, I almost shoved that pedal through the firewall trying to stop, no damage-very severe pucker factor though:( I am back to 9" dual diaphram booster now

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
32" tires but when off road I would guess I operate the vehicle at about 10% over the GVWR. (And onroad to get off road...)

They won't lock up on road no matter how hard you push. Newish brake lines, front rotors, and pads (that is what I have gathered from the previous owners records).

Debating just upgrading the power brake booster to a dual diaphragm unit and seeing how it performs then if more is needed move to 12" disks (already have 16"rims)... This is a much larger investment though...

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I had a Navajo DD booster on mine and took it off because with 35's, 4.10 gears, auto trans, and 4:1 T-case I had a VERY difficult time holding it back. Now with the hydroboost it's no problem. If you run a manual trans then you would not have this issue.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I had a Navajo DD booster on mine and took it off because with 35's, 4.10 gears, auto trans, and 4:1 T-case I had a VERY difficult time holding it back. Now with the hydroboost it's no problem. If you run a manual trans then you would not have this issue.
I have that same set-up, except 33's. The Navaho DD booster has worked great for me for years now.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I have 37" tires. I wheel it on some pretty hard trails. I have stalled it on a few steep inclines and never had a problem keeping the Jeep from rolling away or stopping it if it was moving. (even after accumulator was emptied) The biggest issue people have with Hydroboost is that if not set up properly they dont work. When buying the system from Vanco, it is already set up correctly. Its the people who run junkyard systems that usually have the problems.
And by set up I am talking about the linkage, rod travel, pivot points, etc. If one of those is wrong, it doesnt work properly. The Vanco system is set up so you can bolt it on and go, everything is correct.

My wife wheels our Scrambler... She has stalled it on steep hills and had no problems stopping the Jeep (even after accumulator was emptied).

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Well I am going to give the Vanco system a try. If I don't like it I am sure somebody else with a CJ will buy it off of me.

Now that that decision is made I need to decide about moving the parking brake to a hand operated lever between the seats or not. I think the cables involved with that is a bit too much for me. Would need to go to a brake shop to get custom cables made. Roll cage is a bit in the way and I just prefer the hand operated lever. It is nice to be able to slowly release it than just bang off...