DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Having a discussion with a friend and looking for some opinions from the people who should know (that means y'all)....

Did the original Jeep CJs from the 80's have visible spot welds through the paint on the outside of the body?

I say YES. In fact, I've seen some people write that if you can't see the spot welds, then you know someone has done some body work over the years, and it's not original.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
On the two 7s that I have had one you could see the weld spots the other you couldn't . Both were original. The 8s that I have had you could see the weld. I think more show than don't .

City
Ranchos de Taos
State
NM
This also brings up the question that when you restore one do you skim coat them over or leave them visible as original? I lean on the side of letting them show.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
This also brings up the question that when you restore one do you skim coat them over or leave them visible as original? I lean on the side of letting them show.
That's exactly what we're talking about. I'm thinking "prime, color, clear", and the painter is wanting to "fix" all sorts of things. He's worried I'm going to see all of the imperfections after painting. I'm thinking as long as it's not a dent, I'm not going to bother trying to fix anything. It's not a show car. I told him as soon as he gets finished painting, I'll probably run over a tree with it. Save your talents for an old mustang or rat rod.

hdttm

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashfield
State
MA
I was never able to buy a new CJ. The ones I had when in school all had visible spot weld marks, and I'm pretty sure they were never repainted or had any major body work.

My 1st "new, off the showroom floor vehicle" was a '87 YJ. It did have the same visible spot weld marks as my earlier CJ's and my current Scrambler.

I'm pretty sure that's how they were born.

With respect to cover the spots up during painting.... personally I wouldn't but certainly up to how you want it to look.... we all customize in some way which makes them not "original" Just my :twocents:

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
All the original paint CJs/YJs I have owned have had them. That said, not all newly manufactured bodies are perfect. Its very likely some were skimmed before factory paint. When I sell a Jeep I point them out to show the originality.