WARN 8274...does it block too much air from reaching the radiator?

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
richmond
State
va
I have heard that just about everybody loves the Warn 8274 winch. I am wondering if it contributes to engine overheating in CJs by blocking too much air from reaching the radiator (I have swapped to a V8).

Would it be better to get a lower profile winch?

Thanks

-Mike

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
I had one in the late 70's in a CJ 7 with a 304, i never had any problems and i drove all over the country with it, i lived in Tucson also and saw 100 plus summers, no problems for me in the 5 years i owned it.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It doesn't block air, it's not up against the radiator... the air may be more turbulent going through the radiator, but it doesn't stop it. The air will flow around it just fine.

Also, think about the speeds you'll be doing where you're worried about overheating. There's more than enough room between the winch and radiator for the fan to pull air though/around it, you're not relying on airflow due to the speed you're travelling when on the trails.

Don't worry about it and get one if you want it.

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
If your Jeep overheats, you probably have something else to worry about. There's a big list. If anything the turbulence the winch creates probably increases cooling.

Paul

jeeperrog

Basic User
City
Nashville
State
TN
And don't forget that the 8274 was offered as a dealer installed option on CJs in the 80's. So it met the specs for Jeep - should be good enough.

Mine didn't run any warmer after installing the 8274. goferit..

Roger

Cooter

Tail Dragger
City
Chicago
State
IL
I actually thought I might see someone saying that it makes your Jeep overheat here- glad to see we are all on the same page. :cool:

I run a 380Hp 360 Chrysler in my '8, and it has no overheating problems for over 8 years.

Last edited:
City
Aurora
State
IL
Mike,
The problem isn't getting cool air into and through the rad. but getting hot air out from under the hood. You'll be running he same drivetrain as I am and the best thing I did was to open up the inner fender wells to get the hot air out. Now my motor never gets above 205*.
What fan did you decide to run? If you decide to go mechanical let me know. I've got a mechanical fan adapter from JB Conversions I never used and am looking to move.