• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Warn 8274 Install

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Finally got the frame mounting brackets from Warn to complete the install of my original 8274 winch. The mounting plate is original and correct although the lifting eyes are not. The roller fairlead is from Warn and is close--believe the originals were all galvanized based on pics.

Note that I repro'd the Jeep acc. sticker from the original that was on my broken up cover. I have extras if anyone is interested. $12 shipped if you're interested--15 available.

Note as well the original style plastic solenoid cover--if anyone has a mint one of these with no cracks and a nice condition chrome plug receptacle let me know--very interested!

Thanks to the board with helping to complete this!

Regards, Dave.

Attachments

• Camera--CRX Engine, Jeep Wheels, Scrambler-11-27 056.jpg
    Camera--CRX Engine, Jeep Wheels, Scrambler-11-27 056.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Looks great Dave. Where did you get the mount and do you have a pic of the extensions?

Truck

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Thanks Truck. The winch mount itself came with the winch and is the correct one for the CJ's per the catalogues that I've seen. The bear was the frame angle pieces which are pretty simple for someone with fab expertise but alas I don't have the tools readily available. Soooooo, I ordered from Warn (part numbers 11110 and 11111) and they use some simple carriage head bolts (which go into the pre-cut holes) to mount the plate to the angle brackets. I had to grind the heads of the forwrd ones so they would fit over the bumper thought as it's pretty tight.

Holes used to mount the angle brackets on each side were the existing ones in the frame and use 5/8" hardware. You have to make spacers for the rear holes so you don't collapse the boxed section of the frame when you torque it up. Otherwise it was pretty straightforward. Since I haven't actually hooked the thing up yet I'll get the engine hoist and lift it up to take pics of the brackets if anyone wants some.

I've attached the Warn instructions. If you go to Black Mountain they have a mounting kit which clearly shows the 2 brackets although the Warn ones have a slight step in the tab which hangs over the bumper so you can access the top bumper bolt.

Here's the Black Mountain link--also check their downloads for better pics of the brackets.

http://www.blackmountainsuspension.com/prod03.htm

Hope this clarifies things a bit more.

Best Regards, Dave.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
Looks great Dave!

I am going to install my Jeep Special Equipment 8274 in the spring once I take the Meyer plow off. I should be able to use the same bolts and frame spacer tubes, as the plow, in the frame extension brackets. Thanks for posting the part numbers. My label is pealing slightly so I may buy a replacement to keep as a spare just in case I need it.

Jeff

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
What am I missing? :confused: Why not just mount directly to the frame?

Truck

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Truck

With the correct mounting plate it won't sit flat and it's not quite as wide as the rails. In addition the gearcase would be hitting the grill. You could probably do it with spacers and misc cutting, welding and so on but it likely wouldn't look as clean. If you make your own mount it might be different, dunno. I tried making some brackets out of angle iron but it looked hokey--when you have that much coin sunk into the winch itself another $100 in frame plates didn't seem like that much dough . . . .

Jeff--pm'd you.

Regards, Dave.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I would have to see the mount to completely understand. I have an 8274 but no mount and haven't really taken the time to find one, to many other priorities.

Truck

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Jeep special equipment 8274

Looks good...

I've got the correct roller fairlead NOS not sure I'm going to install, too nice.
Jeep special equipment fairlead besides being galvanized is also slightly smaller.

U going to run the turn signals where U have the round eyebolts?
Got NOS those also.

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Thanks for the feedback Dennis, appreciate it. PM'd you on the parts . . . . I thought the fairlead looked galvanized in the options brochure .. . . .

Regards, Dave.

over2land

Scrambler Wannabe
City
Los Angeles
State
CA
Dave K. said:
Note that I repro'd the Jeep acc. sticker from the original that was on my broken up cover. I have extras if anyone is interested. $12 shipped if you're interested--15 available.

What are the stickers made out of? I might be interested in a couple. PM me if you don't wanna hijack this with sticker discussions.

Looks good!

Cutlass327

City
Beach City
State
OH
11 year old thread, but hoping someone may be able to help. I'm looking for the Jeep SE sticker for mine, but have had no luck. Does anyone here have any or know where to get one or two?

Cutlass327

City
Beach City
State
OH
I was referred to him with a different address, to his webpage that has been under construction since 2017... No reply. I'll try this one. Thanks!

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Might try Montana Jacks Outpost. They sell the old style sticker, so they might also have the Jeep SE sticker.

Cutlass327

City
Beach City
State
OH
[IQUOTE="Jeep Addict, post: 417734, member: 17804"]There was a guy on eBay selling them as well recently.[/QUOTE]

Be searched eBay, all I find are the older generic use stickers. If you find them, please shoot me a link! Jeep being the new Civic has swamped all search engines with useless crap for specific searches it seems.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I just looked for the guy and he hasn’t sold in a while. I bought a couple back in the day I just need to locate them

Cutlass327

City
Beach City
State
OH
Well, Joe just replied, he has them, for $97 a pair... I can understand a little more than the normal price, but wow.. cannot afford that right now.