• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Warn AMC 20 Rear Full Float Axle - Installation Instructions

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Looking through the list, it appears the bulk of the parts are available and when pieced together would run about $675 +/-. Bronco Graveyard might even have a kit that has most of the parts in one place.

But, that is without axle shafts. Axle shaft prices can vary wildly.

So, any idea on the specifications for the axle shafts? I assume they are 19 spline outer and 29 spline inner, but length, spline length, seal locations, seal diameter, etc.... ???

Even with all that, there would be some “machine” work needed on the ford spindle to trim the top bolt hole off and clip the bottom 2 sides so it will fit in the brake drum. That can be done free hand as none of those surfaces are super critical. Or find someone with a mill and become good friends with them. :thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The shafts have 30 spline outers. You can use 30 spline Dana 44 internal mount hubs and drive flanges.

The spindles are custom. I have not seen any stock spindles that will work. The Ford spindles are really long, and they use those hubs that are really long, which would cause the lock in hubs to stick out way past the wheel.

The threaded portion of the spindle, where the spindle nuts go, is shorter then regular Dana 44 stuff. The Warn kits come with one of the spindle nuts machined down to work.

IIRC, the Warn rear full float axle kit wheel hubs are the same parts they use for their HD Dana 30 internal mount hub conversions.

Shafts could be made by Moser. Wheel hubs can be sourced. The spindles are the trick.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The spindles also have a continuous lip on the back side that goes inside the axle tube. In that way, the nuts and bolts are not the only thing carrying the load, the spindle keys inside the axle tube.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
1980 - 1992 F150 Spindle:
80-92 F150 Top.jpg

Warn AMC20 Spindle:
Warn Hub - Side.jpg

Rear F150
80-92 F150 Back.jpg

Warn Rear
Warn Hub - Back.jpg

I wonder if the F150 hub could be machined down to the specs of the Warn Hub. It looks like there is plenty of meat available.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
IF somebody is serious about getting some spindles made/modified, I can send them a spindle. I also have Wide-Trac axle shafts I could send to Moser to get copies made.

The wheel bearings/seals are off the shelf part.
The wheel hubs are available through Randy's Ring and Pinion.

The spindle uses a thinner spindle nut on each side. This could be custom made, or an off the shelf part, I am not sure :shrug:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I just bought a spindle that was on ebay. (The one in the photos above) Should be in my hands by Monday. I'll look it over and make a dimensional drawing that can be used for reproductions.

I need to find an f150 spindle to put my hands on. Need to see if there is enough meat in the places that need to be cut down. Not thrilled at the possibility of spending $175 for a spindle that cant be made to work. Might just keep my eyes open for a used one on Ebay.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I would check and see what bearings both of those spindles use. I would want to make sure the OD of those bearings will work in the Warn wheel hubs :twocents:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I was able to find some dimensional data on the Ford hubs.

1972-75 F150 Hub Diagram.JPG

1972-75 F150 Hub Specs.JPG

1980-92 F150 Hub Specs.JPG

The only apparent difference between the 2 ford spindles is the rear flange depth and the keyway slot.

I'll hold off on getting a comparative spindle until my Warn hub arrives, then do some measurement checks against this.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
The warn full float kit uses LM102949 and LM501349 bearings. (Inner/Outer)

LM102949 has a bore of 1.7812, the ford spindles have a diameter of 1.778 for the inner bearing. This is a clearance of .0032"

LM501349 has a bore of 1.622, the ford spindles have a diameter of 1.622 for the outer bearing. This is a clearance of .003"

Now, is it ok to have that clearance for the spindle to bearing mating surface, I would think so.

So, now the biggest thing left to consider is dimension G and to see if dimensions E & D can be turned down to the warn specifications with a slot incorporated for the o-ring seal.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
The Yukon YA W37132 kit comes with wheel hubs, and 27 spline Warn locking hubs, to convert the front axles of our Jeeps.

The Yukon YA W61650 kit comes with wheel hubs, and 30 spline Warn locking hubs, to convert the front axles of older Jeeps... but will work on our rear axles as well, if we can find the proper stub axles!

I own the Warn full-float AMC20 kit, and I recently bought the Yukon D30 front axle kit, and I can verify that the wheels hubs are the same.

Finding or producing a modified Ford axle would be fantastic! :cheers:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I have been slacking in this project. I have the warn spindle in hand, and I bought a ford spindle and have it in hand. I did some quick measurements, and it should be able to be machined down to match the warn spindle.

The only questionable area is the part that keys into the axle tube. I think there is enough meat there to duplicate the warn piece, but it will be very close if not 1/16" too shallow.

I'll try to do some measurements and photos tonight after a quick run to San Antonio this afternoon.

I plan to get with a buddy that has a lathe (several) and knee mill (several) and have the ford part machined into the warn part. If all goes well I'll document the process. I had even thought about buying my own lathe to play with, but I think it would just spread my resources (time) too thin.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Man, I have really been slacking!

I finally got some dimensions and drew up a CAD of the 2 parts i have. 1 is the warn spindle and the other is a mid 80's ford F-150 spindle.

Unfortunately it does not look good. There is a dished out recess in the axle side of the spindle. See the blue arrow.

WarnFullFloatSpindle.JPG

I have attached a PDF of the full overlay. The black lines is Warn, the red is F-150.

If anybody wants the dwg file either PM me or let me know how to upload it to the forum. I tried and it indicates an "un-allowed" extension type.

Attachments

• WarnFullFloatSpindle Model.pdf
    23.3 KB · Views: 41

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Here is the dished out area:

20190401_194838.jpg

The other issue is the bolt pattern appears to be slightly off, but that could be my measurements.

Also, my measurements of the F-150 spindle included the brass bushing and there might be a conflict once it is removed and the inner bore size revealed.

JMark

City
Montclair
State
NJ
do you have the CAD/dimensions of the AMC 20 spindle? I'm going to try to get it reproduced

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I've got a .dwg file with the dimensions. If you shoot me your email address in a PM I will mail it to you. Not sure how to post that kind of file on the site.

Dunnymp

City
Fresno
State
Ca
I know I'm kinda late on this one but would any of you happen to have the full parts list/breakdown for the AMC20 kit? I see you've listed the bearing numbers but I'm needing hub seals and the spindle o-rings. I would greatly appreciate any info you guys can provide. Thank you.