WARNING - don't use National Bearings OR TIMKEN on AMC20 1pc axle kits..

MomoJeep

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Save yourself some time, hassle and two press jobs!

The Moser kit calls for Timken Set9 bearings. Crappy O'Reilly auto parts doesn't carry Timken. But word on the street is that National is also a high quality brand. So I got them. THEN.. My axles would not slide all the way in. I got frustrated and scratched my head and checked many things until I realized why. The retainer rings from National are wider (with smaller OD) and they were hitting the inner seals! See attached pic showing the old Timken retainer ring vs. the National...

Attachments

MomoJeep

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
I changed the title from.
WARNING - don't use National Bearings OR TIMKEN on AMC20 1pc axle kits..

I added OR TIMKEN (That should get your attention!). I thought National had a wider retainer ring, but it turns out it's the SAME SIZE as Timken. TOO WIDE/LONG..!

So WTF? This means either the retainer rings have recently gotten wider and this is a new problem, OR, Moser, etc., is providing a special shorter ring??

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
You could probably just have gotten them over nighted or 2nd day air if you really need to get them sooner than later.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
You can see what I payed 5 years ago. I would be interested to see what the are now. Pretty good price for what is in there in the kit.