• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

We did a thing... wife's Jeep Renegade

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Well we did a thing. Unlike previous similar posts (I still can't believe how many people fell for trading the Postal in on a Commander all those years ago) this isn't April Fools.

We have four Jeeps, we traded in an 11 year-old Jeep, and we traded in the newest vehicle we owned :eek:

Kate's JKU was our family truckster and nearing 200k miles and it had passed the point at which it made sense to put more time and money into it. The Renegade will serve her better with her commute and there's a happy kid who might have something to drive in a couple more years if she keeps doing well with school and helps take care of it.

Of course, it won't stay stock long ;)

So, with that all said, let the "not a real Jeep" hate begin... :rotfl:

IMG_6837.JPG

IMG_6847.JPG

IMG_6851.JPG
There are people on here that remember before this kid was born... kind of blows my mind.

IMG_6852.JPG
Bring it on...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10217284656493965&set=pcb.10217284859699045&type=3

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Awesome. The wife actually keeps getting in these when we are at the dealership. I haven't driven one but for what they are they look that they will fill there role well.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
My dad bought an orange one a few months ago. Of all the cars out there, I told him, you settle on this...turd? I mean, it has the Jeep name on it and it's really low on the features and uncomfortable to drive like the old jeeps, but it's like Walmart on wheels.

My daily drive is a Rav4. I love it. Great mileage, comfortable, and easy to mod. I've got no concerns about it dying on me any time soon.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Awesome. The wife actually keeps getting in these when we are at the dealership. I haven't driven one but for what they are they look that they will fill there role well.

I’ve played in a few of them out at the media day in Moab. I went in expecting nothing and was completely shocked at how well they did. Also shocked at how incredibly large they are inside for someone my size.

I’m proportional, not long legs or long torso, just everything is bigger and it’s amazing how many “normal” size vehicles I can’t reasonably fit in or drive. Before the JK we looked at a Honda Element and I couldn’t physically get my foot on the gas to drive. Head room for days, but the design of the dash precluded long legs like mine.

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Great color...... you will definitely see it coming...... :rotfl:

Color was a joint choice of the wife and kid. Kate got so used to her bright yellow JK in parking lots that she’d never consider any “normal” color again. I love it.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
My dad bought an orange one a few months ago. Of all the cars out there, I told him, you settle on this...turd? I mean, it has the Jeep name on it and it's really low on the features and uncomfortable to drive like the old jeeps, but it's like Walmart on wheels.

My daily drive is a Rav4. I love it. Great mileage, comfortable, and easy to mod. I've got no concerns about it dying on me any time soon.

Kate and I put too much premium on truly enjoying our vehicles to ever consider something like a RAV4. Frankly, they’re boring as all hell (per your turd comment.)

Total personal preference, but this one has more features than we actually required, we’re easy that way. If you truly want creature comfort, lets face it that you’re not looking at Jeeps other than high end Cherokees and Grands :shrug: that’s fine with me.

We both would have preferred a JLU but that’s just not in the cards for us now and we weren’t sure about that for Laura when she starts driving. Laura may not get this either, but we’ll see.

I also have no issue with the seats thus far and Kate actually commented unprompted on the test drive how much better they were than her JK. The high headrests alone are miles better IMHO.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
8DA73455-A940-40C6-A9F6-D7272E28EB8D.jpeg
My wife chose the color. 1970 Sublime. Wasn’t sure then; looks great now. Love it. Enjoy.Just had last graduate high school and off to Auburn.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
*FACEPALM* What? Not a JT?

Honestly though, it's probably the best Fiat you can get. :devilish:

Any JT (or JLU) we would have wanted was another half as much as this at least and we couldn’t wait any longer. The issues with the JKU had just piled up too much.

And the Fiat comment is correct, I don’t deny where the bones come from and the fact that it’s an Italian vehicle.

I do give props to FCA for taking Jeep truly global, there was simply no option for it to continue as a non-global brand in the modern economy and regulatory universe IMO.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Congrats on the new ride!
I bet anyone who read the emperor meme, read it in the emperor's voice... I did..

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I’m proportional, not long legs or long torso, just everything is bigger and it’s amazing how many “normal” size vehicles I can’t reasonably fit in or drive. Before the JK we looked at a Honda Element and I couldn’t physically get my foot on the gas to drive. Head room for days, but there design of the dash precluded long legs like mine.

^^ This is key! For 10 years my wife drove a Ford Escape, and every time I went with her somewhere, I had to fold myself through the door. This year, I got her a Ford Flex, and it is downright spacious inside! Big doors, plenty of legroom (front and back seats), and plenty of seating for the grandkids. My DD is a full sized pickup, so no issues there.

I'm still trying to make my Scrambler fit me, though. I may have to ditch the half cab in favor of a full soft top... I'm not there yet, though. :cheers:

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Shoot. My younger brother bought one just like that specifically for hunting on the farm. It's awesome. He says it parks easy too.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It does. Got it on the highway today and I’m going to have to watch myself, it gets up to 90-100 without trying. Not used to that!

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Here you go!! Here is my "I did a thing"... 2018 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Sold my LJ. Needed a reliable vehicle that gets better mileage than the LJ.

View attachment 64085

If I could pull it off I would have one of these sitting next to the dually and never drive a commuter car again.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Looks like the axle articulation makes them easy to work on?? :unsure:

Attachments

• SWM_3933_fe.jpg
    SWM_3933_fe.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 14

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
And if we are showing off even though its probably not a "proper truck" in the US market here is my latest acquisition a still shiny 2018 Toyota Hilux.

Attachments

• 20180603_185521.jpg
    20180603_185521.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 25