• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Weak Stereo Volume...any ideas!?

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
My Retro Sound aftermarket stereo has started to have a very weak output. I believe it started around the time my alternator was unknowingly going bad and since I replaced the alternator. Both speakers work, head unit appears to work correctly, but volume at max volume the speakers only seem at conversational volume.

Would anyone happen to have any ideas on what the problem may be?

I have the head unit out and in lieu of cracking it open I was hoping for a possible quick fix. Speaker wiring is all solid.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
My Retro Sound aftermarket stereo has started to have a very weak output. I believe it started around the time my alternator was unknowingly going bad and since I replaced the alternator. Both speakers work, head unit appears to work correctly, but volume at max volume the speakers only seem at conversational volume.
I've read some bad reviews on those units, relatively short lifespan especially. Are you using Bluetooth, or just the built in radio?

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I had one for about a year. It didn’t last. The volume was pretty weak to begin with, and then it just quit working altogether.

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
If you replace, look for a 2 post JVC unit. Check eBay. I’ve had good luck with them. Most of the JVC units have adjustable knob width. The CJ’s had a narrower knob width than most vehicles and the adjustable features keeps you from cutting the dash.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
If you replace, look for a 2 post JVC unit. Check eBay. I’ve had good luck with them. Most of the JVC units have adjustable knob width. The CJ’s had a narrower knob width than most vehicles and the adjustable features keeps you from cutting the dash.
I have spent way more time and money than I am willing to admit on decks. A range of brands from that era have adjustable knobs, fortunately. The things to be concerned about are depth - 5" is cutting it close, >5.25" requires cramming the ductwork. The other thing is even NOS isn't a guarantee, because the capacitors have a 20-30 year lifespan. I had to spend a bit to get an OEM deck "re-capped." Worth it, to me, but the whole thing is a crap shoot.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
Thanks all. I will probably end up replacing it. I appreciate the tips on the JVC units.

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I've got a couple working tape decks I'd be happy to send you for shipping. One's a Clarion, the other is a radio shack brand. Both I've had installed but pulled because I either needed more channels or a different wiring setup.