barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
So I have large rolls of china made very flexuble 4 gauge copper audio power/ground cable. More like 8 gauge high quality cable. Would running 2 or three runs with properly attached eyelets(crimped & soldered) give the same "benefits" of say a quality 2 or 4 gauge battery/ground cables? Figured someone here might know, or give opinions. I figure I have it, maybe I can use it.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Multi wire feeds are very common in main switch gear feeds to buildings. They are primarily used due to the fact single wires are not made in large enough sizes to carry the required loads. One important consideration is to match the lengths of the wires to each other. If one is shorter than the rest it will have a lower resistance and carry an unequal amount of the load and possibly exceed the current carrying capacity. Once you do that the wire generates heat, bad.

I personally would avoid multi-wire feeds on a vehicle due to the sizes required all fall within reasonable manufacturer's sizes. Best practices dictates one feed is better than a split feed.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I’d go with the right single wire too, if you lose a single wire, something stops working and you fix it. One wire of a multi wire setup goes, things still work but you risk getting into an overload situation.

I’m all about duplicate grounds, though (where proper) so I’d say use some of that to properly run grounds anywhere feasible.