Well, I have joined the unemployed.

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Last Wednesday, I was furloughed as a direct result of the Sequester we've all been hearing about in the news. Not a very fun thing to go through.
Company paid me through the end of the week and will have full insurance coverage for 60 days. At the end of that 60 days, if the company has new work, they said they would call me and I would be welcome to come right back.
I'm not holding my breath (can't hold my breath). I've been trying to stay positive through all of this and not dwell on the "why" questions which only become frustrating the more I think about it.
Seeking income in any way that I can. Spent Wednesday afternoon, Thursday, and Friday applying for various jobs, sending out the old resume, and doing a lot of soul searching. I've also picked up a few odd jobs, mostly fab work for some friends including roll cages, bracket fabrication, oil changes, radiator replacement in a Cherokee, and some other prospects.

Prior to this development Wednesday, my wife Jennifer and I have been working to establish our own business making maps. The company we have created is called Cartotracks. We're on Facebook but have not yet been able to create our own website although we own the domain Cartotracks.com. That, should come very, very soon. Our specialty at the moment is 4wd parks but could map just about anything you throw at us. For those of you who attended the SOA National at Golden Mountain in Sparta, TN a few years ago, are familiar with our first park map. Since then we've completed another for Hawk Pride near Tuscumbia, AL.

I've had some great discussions with Matt, the owner of this site, and his own decisions with his company GR8Tops who make the awesome half cabs we've all seen along with some other real cool tops just now making it to market for the Unlimited LJ Jeeps.

Just thought I'd share here with my Scrambler family and humbly ask for your thoughts and prayers as we make some heavy decisions in the near future.
Thanks.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Sorry to here about it. I am hoping only the best for you and your family.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Sorry to hear this! What line of work are you in? Maybe someone here can help or we can keep our ears to the ground for you.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
You're in our prayers. Who knows-this may be the start of something great for you!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
My wife too is going through the furlough business with her job... we hope and pray for the best... every year it is furlough this or furlough that, or you have to move, and now sequester... hard to go through year after year, but we just take it as it comes.

Good luck on the maps, sounds cool.

cb

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
...What line of work are you in? ...
The job I just had was as an imagery analyst for a geospatial company. I did more of the data collection prior to the hard copy map finishing work (cartography) but can do both. Degrees in Geography and Geology.
Cartotracks (our private business) is everything from start to finish.

I can weld, fabricate, fix about anything, and like long walks on the beach.
I'm an Eagle Scout too.

GOPBobby

BDuke
SOA Member
City
Cullman
State
AL
I understand where you are coming from. After 29 years in Huntsville (9 at Motorola and 20 at Adtran) my job was cut in October. I had wanted a Scrambler since they first came out when I was in high school. Ironically the week after I finally bought mine I lost my job so not much progress on fixing it up yet.

The map business sounds really interesting, maybe some of the hunting clubs around N. Alabama would be interested in getting their property mapped?

Believing the best for you,
Bobby

Ol'Red

Basic User
City
Twentynine Palms
State
Ca
I've got a really good friend that works at Stennis Space center just West of Gulfport, MS doing the same kind of imagery work. Not sure how far a drive that is but if you might be interested let me know and I'll hit him up.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
How about an Atlas for offroading every state plus Mexico and Canada?
I do wish you all the best. ^this is something I had thought about for some time. Of course I don't have one speck of the talent required to do it. When I first got the Scrambler I searched all over the Web for a site that had locations of official ORV areas, none existed. Not to mention a mapping website that had data on 4x4 roads, trails, powerline right of ways(all legal stuff of course).

jeepers 1940

Legacy Registered User
City
Madison
State
MS
Sorry to hear the news. Best of luck to you and your family at this time; whatever you do, try to keep a positive attitude. It helps.

City
Republic
State
MO
Man I'm sorry to hear about your loss. The best thing that I can say is just like I told a buddy of mine a few weeks ago, at least you're not getting shot at anymore. Trying to think of the glass half-full kind of thing.

But since you posted your skills as a fab guy, where are you located? I know a few of us who read without posting much are always on the lookout to get some good work done, and also to help a fellow American in need.

Good luck brother

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Thank you all so very much.
I'm in Madison, AL - just West of Huntsville in far North-central Alabama.

Don't really want to re-locate anywhere. My wife is still (at this point) employed at the company I was just furloughed from. We do like it here. Hour and 1/2 away from family (which is just far enough but close enough if you know what I mean).

One of the best things y'all could all do is if you are on Facebook, please like our mapping company: https://www.facebook.com/CartoTracks

Share that page please! If you have a local park that needs a map, by all means, tell them about us. I'd like to try to stay in the southeast for now as travel costs can get expensive but right now, I'm not being picky for work.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Liked! You might contact Flat Nasty ORV park in south MO/northern AR. Cool place but could really use a good map!

cablackone

Basic User
City
Van Wert
State
Oh
Welcome to the unemployment line,I got laid off in January thanks to the Sequester and the goverment not signing any contracts as well as 150 or so fellow employees. Glad to hear that you have other plans in the works and hope they go well.

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
There is a place here in my town that does the geospatial thing..the are called wellsco...I think they may have recently been bought by infotech.. you can find their number is you google wellsco paragould arkansas. Pretty big outfit...not sure what kinda place it is to work.