What are your Lady's carrying? (Concealed Weapon)

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Yo Fellas! My wife just got her Conceal permit and we are looking for suggestions on her carry gun. I bought her LCP last year that I was figuring her carrying but after thinking about it collectively she is thinking she wants a revolver. I want her to have what ever she wants and will do the job. She is thinking some like a Ruger LCR but she has not fired one yet. She has a S&W 38 Special that her dad gave her while she was in college so she knows the power and recoil of the gun but what something more streamline. Let me know what your ladies are carrying!

Thanks!

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Mom has a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard, but now wants an LCP. I carry a Keltec P3AT. Wife carries a Bersa Thunder.

Mom had a Smith and Wesson 60 hammerless (642) before she she decided she wanted an auto.

Most important thing is, find the one SHE likes.

To me, a small 380 is much more concealable than a revolver.

My favorite is a 1903 Colt, but they're a bit heavy for most occasions. Can't beat how flat they are though.

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
She likes the LCP she has but really likes the simplicity of the revolver. I can see it both ways but it is like you said, its whatever she is comfortable with. I personally like carrying the LCP in my pockets. Front or rear depending on what kind of pants I'm wearing. She will have hers in her purse most of the time. I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and even though I like the gun itself I don't like carrying it. It has a weird shape or something that is hard to conceal in my opinion with the fitted clothes that I wear. It is what I will be selling/trading in for whatever she gets.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
She likes the LCP she has but really likes the simplicity of the revolver. I can see it both ways but it is like you said, its whatever she is comfortable with. I personally like carrying the LCP in my pockets. Front or rear depending on what kind of pants I'm wearing. She will have hers in her purse most of the time. I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and even though I like the gun itself I don't like carrying it. It has a weird shape or something that is hard to conceal in my opinion with the fitted clothes that I wear. It is what I will be selling/trading in for whatever she gets.
Yep, the Bersa is a little bulky for CC. Wife loves hers though and she came with it, so that was a bonus. I have a De Santis holder for my Keltec. Leaves the same print as a wallet in my back pocket, so it doesn't look or feel any different than my wallet. If he's going to carry it in her purse a hammerless revolver would work fine.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Guns????

Oh my!

Call 911 and wait patiently for the police to arrive.

Just joking!!

City
Lenoir city
State
Tn
I've got a glock 30 .45. If it's a gun to protect myself and family I wouldn't want a small caliber. Not as small as some smaller caliber guns but is still very concealable..especially in a purse

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
The gun you/she carries is better than than one you/she doesn't. Is a .22LR a great CCW weapon? Absolutely not. But I'd take it over a can of mace any day of the week. In that vein, our local PD's policy is for the officers to carry the largest caliber they feel comfortable shooting (and can make the qualification with). I've seen some officers down at 9 mm, while others use 10 mm, with the vast majority carrying .45 ACP and .40 S&W.

My wife also wanted a revolver for its simplicity. She also has a hard time operating the slides on my Glock 17 and KAHR CW40. After handling a number of revolvers, she opted for the S&W Bodyguard .38. She selected the Bodyguard in particular because it has a longer handle, and allows her to hold it with her little finger on the grip, whereas with the J-frame you're still stuck with a hanging finger.

That being said, she also discovered a Sig .380 that she was particularly attracted to, and it was one where she could operate the slide. A couple months later we rented one at a range, and she decided that would also be an acceptable gun for her. I picked one up as a Christmas present for her a year ago, but sadly, she still hasn't shot it. In that same vein, she's put hundreds of rounds through the Bodyguard and she's comfortable with it, so that's the one she carries.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
I carry a Ruger SR45 most of the time and the wife's is a Ruger SR9c. I was sold on them the first time I fired one, was the SR9 full size, fit my hand perfectly and dead accurate. Looking to get one in the 40 flavor as well. We've had them just over a year now and 1000+ rounds out of both and no malfunctions or excessive wear. The 45 feels like most 9mm as far as kick, 9 feels more like a 380.

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
I know how popular the LC is, and I have to agree that it's profile is wonderful. Arguing against one won't make one popular. But..., where the LC excels in profile, it equally gives up in shooting. For me, it was one of the most uncomfortable guns to shoot, ever. I would not recommend one for anyone with dainty hands, especially so in 9mm.

I went through my mouse gun exploration phase. I really liked the colt pony, or if you can find one the older poketlite double action only. Not the smallest, but wonderful shooters.

I like the older colt 1903 and baby Brownings for size, but would never carry one with a round in the chamber. They start to lose their readiness and practicality.

Personally, I don't think you can beat the simplicity of a long pull double action revolver. I have never fully acclimated to revolvers, just a personal thing, so my personal journey into the mouse gun world wound up with a seacamp in 32. It was the ultimate compromise of form and functionality. It's not a gun for everyone, nor certainly every occasion, but for a compact, simple and effective close range gun it's just right. It's the only job it was designed for, and it's good for absolutely nothing else. It's the small revolver of automatics.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I know how popular the LC is, and I have to agree that it's profile is wonderful. Arguing against one won't make one popular. But..., where the LC excels in profile, it equally gives up in shooting. For me, it was one of the most uncomfortable guns to shoot, ever. I would not recommend one for anyone with dainty hands, especially so in 9mm.

I went through my mouse gun exploration phase. I really liked the colt pony, or if you can find one the older poketlite double action only. Not the smallest, but wonderful shooters.

I like the older colt 1903 and baby Brownings for size, but would never carry one with a round in the chamber. They start to lose their readiness and practicality.

Personally, I don't think you can beat the simplicity of a long pull double action revolver. I have never fully acclimated to revolvers, just a personal thing, so my personal journey into the mouse gun world wound up with a seacamp in 32. It was the ultimate compromise of form and functionality. It's not a gun for everyone, nor certainly every occasion, but for a compact, simple and effective close range gun it's just right. It's the only job it was designed for, and it's good for absolutely nothing else. It's the small revolver of automatics.
I remember seeing ads in the Shotgun News and Gun List back in the late 80's wanting to buy Seecamps. I've never had a chance to look at one in person.

48Bob

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Montrose
State
CO
My wife packs a Ruger LC9. When she decided that I should have my Colt Mustang Pocket lite .380 back, we went to Cabela's where she spent a long time handling everything that was there before she decided what felt best to her, not what I thought was best. Remember, she needs to feel comfortable with what she is carrying. Any compact revolver or semiautomatic will be fine. And it is much easier to conceal a handgun in a purse than on a belt. Personally, I usually pack a Colt Officers Model. 45, if not a full size 1911.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
If a revolver is a must, I'd recommend a Ruger LCR in 9mm. Federal 124g HST has ballistics that are hard to beat. Plus recoil isn't that bad. But...Personally I feel 5 shots might not get the job done.

I carried a S&W airweight for years, but currently my EDC is a HK P2000SK in 9mm. 10+1 gives you a secure feeling. This gun is available in conventional DA/SA, along with LEM which is a cross between striker fire and double action. Most HK's give this option. I'm a HK guy, the P2000SK got me away from Sig (didn't like their subcompact 224). I also carry a P2000 in .40or .357 Sig when we're up in the woods or wheeling- a bit more stopping power and capacity never hurt. And if I'm feeling the need, I also have a HK45C that carries nice, .45 cal of course. HK's do have a European magazine release- some people hate it but I feel it is lees prone to mag drops due to stress.

Walther has the PPS, a nice, reliable, accurate gun with a super slim profile. It's available with either the European release or the American button.

Personally, I would stay away from a Glock. They're great for experienced users in proper holsters, but for some reason the design of a Glock seems to lead to more accidental discharges than any other. Google "Glock Leg".

Size comparison between S&W Airweight and P2000SK- 5 rounds of .38 vs 11 rounds of 9mm.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456284387.257457.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456284396.108917.jpg

Last edited:

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
My CCW choice is a Sig P238. It's small enough to carry in my front pocket and still carry a second mag. I also like the Colt Mustang 380. Sitting on my night stand beside my bed is a FN 5.7 x 28.

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
I carry a Glock 42 and my wife a S&W Bodyguard. I personally don't care for the Smith, the trigger is so tough to pull that after practicing with a clip or 2 my finger cramps up...

I think I will give the 42 to my wife and I will move to a 43, she also has a model 19 so the transition for her should be easy.