What backspacing for Centerline billet wheels

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Hello,

I am wondering if anybody has an idea of what the correct backspacing should be for 235/85/r16 (32"x9.3") tires on 7" wide rims. Scrambler has narrow track axles. I have debated new axles (wide track front and Currie 9" rear) but I am very leary of this now and thinking I should stay with what I have (really other priorities before forking over that kind of money). I would hate to switch to a wide track amc 20 now just to rip it out later (besides I have ARB locker and one piece axles so a lot invested in the current AMC 20 by the previous owner).

For steel wheels I am really only finding 4" backspacing as the only option and it seems too much but maybe it is just because of the narrow rim. I keep dreaming about the Centerline billet wheels where you can specify your own backspacing. I am waiting to hear back from them about if they are comfortable having them on a 4x4 due to the forged two piece design where the centre is welded in. I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem since people put these on muscle cars and street trucks that slam them with torque burning the rubber.

If I was to go with the billet centerline wheels what backspacing would I specify? If I get correct rim backspacing I'd like to not use spacers. Then the future if I did upgrade the rear axle would still be a Currie 9" but just the narrow track width. There is nothing really wrong with the narrow track width right? I want to keep the wheels in even with the edge of the factory flares.

I know it may be a long shot but wondering if people can help by posting up tire sizes, rim width, backspacing, and what spacers they use so I can get a better idea.

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Anyways I just realised I can calculate this. Duh

65" (width flare to flare) - 53" (front axle width) = (12" needed past axles both wheels combined)

7" (rim) + 1.25" (tire extending past rim (outside)) x 2 (wheels) = 16.5"

16.5" -12" = 4.5"

4.5" / 2 = 2.25" backspacing

So not possible. Minimum backspacing is 3.5"

I guess that is the advantage of wide track axles. 4" backspacing would be perfect on them.

Last edited: