What did I break?

Emile

City
Wilsonville
State
OR
Something broke today and I don't know what it is. I drove the Jeep several times and when I went to start it there was a terrible grinding noise and the engine won't turn over. Here's a video of what it sounds like. I think it might be the distributor.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That’s not a good sound! Ouch! I’d start with pulling the starter and taking a look. Broken starter drive/nose cone?

Boomer

Iron Bender
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Definitely sounds starter or flywheel ring gear related. Hopefully not a broken bellhousing.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Starter would be my guess from the sound of it... do ^^^ and see what it is... if you bounced it off a rock, then I would think maybe the bellhousing area should be looked at.

Also, check to see the status of the starter bolts when you remove them... are they tight?... if they loosen, you can have issues as well.

cb

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Definitely sounds like a starter. I had this problem three times over the span of a year.

You might have blown the nose cone off the starter.

20200118_161356.jpg20200118_105232.jpg

Do yourself a favor and go with a mini high torque starter...it was the best thing I have done for my scrambler.

20200729_133421.jpg

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
You might also tap the starter with hammer. That sounds almost like the bendix is not engaging at all, which could jiggle loose with a few taps. I had an old F-250 with a 7.3 IDI that would do that....each direction! Sometimes it would stick shut and not start, sometimes it would stick open and not disengage. I'd have to watch the voltmeter when I started it, and if it never recovered to charging voltage, I'd have to run out and tap on the starter to get it to disengage before burning up the lead wire.

If it's not stuck, and not engaging, the bendix spring could be broken. It's not a terrible fix, but starters are pretty cheap as it is.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
What brand did you go with? Obviously I've got the inline 6- 258 engine.
Mine was for a Chevy 350, but I went with a middle of the road priced Summit Racing version. This is the one I ended up getting. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-829105. It is a Mini Hitachi style. $133 +/-. This one was double what I paid for the traditional starter, but it has way more torque and no cone to bust off...again.

I try to never buy the highest priced parts and certainly never buy the lowest priced junk. Somewhere in the middle has served me the best over the years. The two previous replacement starters I bought were the low end junk because I thought they would just work. I was very wrong.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Definitely the bendex is not pushing out to engage the ring gear.

Emile

City
Wilsonville
State
OR
Starter it is! Next question. Do I need to get into where the flywheel is and remove the broken pieces or do I just leave them in there? See the next post for a picture of what is next to the flywheel? I took this picture with a scope.

Attachments

• 16137884239052648776047857288334.jpg
    16137884239052648776047857288334.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 12

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I would definitely recommend removing all the broken pieces. That’s just shrapnel waiting to happen. Clean it out!
Just my opinion

Dave The Sparky

Scrambling Across The Pond
City
Halifax
State
UK
If you aren't aware you should just need to remove this plate between th engine and gearbox to get in to the flywheel, will also make it easier to check the flywheel too.

16917.01__41391-500x500.product_main.jpg