What is the correct name of this color? 81 CJ8

dumbguy123

Basic User
City
Cal
State
CA
I picked up this tub and frame last year to build a CJ8 from. Sadly, all the other parts were picked and sold before I could save them all, so I am looking for all the missing body parts that are not showing in the picture. If you have any parts for sale in this same color that I could use, please get in touch with me. Thank you.

Attachments

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Looks like code "1E" - "Copper Brown Metallic" They used this color 1981-1983 so you have 3 model years as a possibility of finding pieces.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Looks like you have the major pieces in what look to be better than average condition (frame, tub, bulkhead). How is the rust on them? Looks like a possible soft doors and 1/2 soft cab top in the tub as well? Where was this found?

Congrats on the project!

dumbguy123

Basic User
City
Cal
State
CA
Looks like code "1E" - "Copper Brown Metallic" They used this color 1981-1983 so you have 3 model years as a possibility of finding pieces.
Cool, thank you for the info. Do we have a second on Copper Brown Metallic?

Here is what it looked like the day I found it in Pick Your Part in Riverside, CA. By the time I was able to get back there 2 days later, it was seriously picked over. Thankfully my buddy got the hard top, and I also have the hood back from the guy who bought it. The hood does have fire damage in the center from a long ago engine fire. It has zero rust anywhere, it must've been inside and dry for a long time. The tub and frame are the cleanest I've ever seen.

Already bought a full soft top for it, so I can't see needing the bulkhead or half soft top frame. However, I have A LOT of parts to buy so I can't give them away. I would consider trading them for good parts that I really need.

Thank you revho & jerseyjeeps.

Attachments

dumbguy123

Basic User
City
Cal
State
CA
Jersey for the win, Winning! Thank you for helping figure out what color I am looking for replacement parts to put Humpty back together again.

Attachments

dumbguy123

Basic User
City
Cal
State
CA
How did that even end up in the junk yard in the first place???
That is the question of the decade! So crazy that it ended up there, but thankful that I found it and managed to get at least part of it. Now to find a whole mess of clean, reasonably priced Copper Brown Metallic parts. ;)

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Around here once a vehicle hits the yard it can’t be sold. Only parted. I guess theoretically you could take it out one part at a time. Luckily you were able to get that whole Jeep. Awesome!

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Around here once a vehicle hits the yard it can’t be sold. Only parted. I guess theoretically you could take it out one part at a time. Luckily you were able to get that whole Jeep. Awesome!
Didn't know that, but them I've never seen a CJ here at the yard. Actually not to many yards around here after Katrina anyway.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
My first -7 was that color with the nutmeg soft top and hard doors. '81. Thought it was med brown metallic, but copper brown metallic sounds right now. Too many years ago.. Was a Renegade. First year of the soft top/hard door option. Bought it in Sept of '80 new. LIke $4800. Lots of money back then...

City
Cal
State
CA
It is basically the same here Jeep Addict. I did not get the whole Jeep. I had to keep after them to let me buy it and I sort of did bring it out 'one piece at a time.' At first, they were giving me a flat no to saving it from the crusher because of the paperwork with DMV. But I got the tub out first after the front clip was gone. I noticed no VIN tag on the firewall when the tub was purchased, hmmmm. Next I stripped the frame of the narrow track axles and the I6 & trans and took the frame home, and ended up with paperwork transferring title. The more I kept on them, then they did give me paperwork for the vin and title. I think it will be a junk title, but that is okay because it can't be registered as an '81 with the build plan. I may have to buy an old Jeep, like 60's or earlier to put it back together again.