• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What is thing for? Needing to know if I can remove with my 4.0 head and MPFI setup.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I am in the process of installing a 4.0 head with the MPFI intake and exhaust on my '85 CJ7. Currently I am weeding through the wiring and thinning it out. This is on the CJ engine side harness and was curious as to what this piece is for?

There appears to be some sort of diodes inside but I haven't pulled it apart any further to look:

It comes off of this much larger weather-pack connection:

I will be using the CJ style starting and charging system, along with the CJ style A/C. Basically I am needing to know if all this can be removed and still allow me to use these two systems with my 4.0 head and MPFI. Anyone familiar with this part and what function it serves?

Last edited:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Government tracking device.....:wave:

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Government tracking device.....:wave:

I really wish I could say you were joking but anymore I wouldn't put it past the government! They probably put it on there after the last several rounds of firearms I've purchased.

If so...cut it off and wedge it under the bumper of a Prius!:evil:

That might be possible if there were any Prius's where I live; I haven't ever seen one within an hour where I'm at!

Last edited:

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
That might be possible if there were any Prius's where I live; I haven't ever seen one within an hour where I'm at!

I heard somewhere that they are illigal in Kansas and "In Season" year around. :shrug: :wave:

pav1

Legacy Registered User
City
Acton
State
ON
The first on is the diode assembly which controls the idle relay

The second "i think" is for the manifold heater relay

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I really wish I could say you were joking but anymore I wouldn't put it past the government! They probably put it on there after the last several rounds of firearms I've purchased.

I heard somewhere that they are illigal in Kansas and "In Season" year around. :shrug: :wave:

I 100% know what you're talking about... I got a letter from the POTUS about the need for sensible gun control...I guess one of my "no new gun control, period" letters actually got read.

And...I'm jealous of you guys that don't have the "Plague of Prius" in your area. They're everywhere here...along with the enviro-nazis that seem to love driving them. Always going 52 on the highway, and giving you dirty looks when you pass...them and the "Smart Cars"...
:evil:

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
I found that if you get a Prius stuck in your tire it's fairly easy to pry it out with a screwdriver. Really though, who would buy one of these asexual cars? There are diesel driven cars which get far better gas mileage and have some semblance of style. I hate the tweaky little ads for the Prius too. Who wants to be lumped in with these flower power folks?

BTW, this winter is kick-off for my diesel CRX build. 1.9L TDI with a 6-speed behind it. Dual fuel with diesel or veg. I'm thinking I'll hit 70mpg (+/-). I hope no Prius owners try to befriend me though....

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Really though, who would buy one of these asexual cars? I hate the tweaky little ads for the Prius too. Who wants to be lumped in with these flower power folks?

:rotfl: Those ads pi$$ me off... I want to say a bunch of politically incorrect things right now, but, out of respect for everyone here, I'll refrain. Anyways, we've derailed this thread far enough from the original question...

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
To the original question, I have no clue what those things are as I have never seen anything like it on my 81 or on my 85. Weird!

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Thanks to John Strenk over on JeepForum.com and pav1 for helping me figure out what the electrical piece does. Here is his post in case anyone else comes across this issue or has this particular piece still installed on their Jeep:

John Strenk: "It's a bunch of diodes used to sense it the Intake heater, AC and something else. It's used to activate the solvac solenoid on the BBD to kick up the engine speed at idle.

Not needed if you don't have the OEM computer operating anymore.

Look for Diode Array in this schematic. Lower right. Just above the blue box

Thought for a second I spotted the ultra rare central Kansas Prius in the distance yesterday; turned out to just be a Honda of some sorts. I will be traveling through Boulder and Fort Collins Colorado this weekend in my Dodge Diesel so I'm sure I will get my Prius/enviro-nazi/anti-gun fill! Hope I get to run into a lady like the one in Hef's video he posted, I wouldn't be quite so nice!

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
3939-1.jpg