• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What is your oil consumption on your 258 engine?

How many miles before adding a quart of oil on 258 engine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
In another tread in this forum I mentioned that I was using about 1 quart in 1200 miles and the response was that is excessive. Not to deviate off the subject of the other thread, I thought I'd start this tread to address my issue of oil consumption.

What is excessive oil consumption for a 258 engine?

How many miles before you have to add a quart of oil?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
No functional, healthy engine should consume that much oil IMHO.

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
I voted for under 2000 miles, however, probably 1/4 of that is from minor drips. And since I don't keep records and usually only check the oil before going on a trail ride, it's all a estimate. It also depends on how much fun I'm having, in other words, how hard my foot has been in the skinny pedal. :D

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
there should be a none option...

RedRaider43

Legacy Registered User
City
San Antonio
State
TX
I had a front and rear main seal leak and I was averaging about half a quart per 1500 miles. I dropped the Jeep off at the shop on Monday to have these taken care of. $760.00 later I have no oil leaks so I will let you know when I get to play with it.

Challenger

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
Oil consumption

There should be NO oil consumption on an engine, if there is, its a sign that something is wearing out, if there are no leaks on the 258 (HAHAHAHA). Had one rebuilt 2 years ago and Its does not consume any oil between oil changes. And with My other 3 scramblers one with 86,000 one with 64,000 and 105,000 they do not use any oil between changes.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
If I remember correctly, I think the '83 factory service manual says 1 quart per 1,000 miles is acceptable.:eek: I've never had an engine use that much, though. But just about every Jeep engine I have ever had does leak some oil from somewhere. Even my 05 Rubicon stays "damp" around the valve cover. Never "damp" enough to register low on the dipstick, though (80,000 miles).

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
@ 171,000 miles on the ticker of the original 258 in the CJ-7, I need to check it every month or so. There is usually a healthy amount of it on the garage floor.

:D