What length should the drag link be on WT?

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
I have a '83 with WT. While getting the power steering all hooked up I found that when I turn the wheels all the way to the right they don't go as far as when I turn the wheels all the way to the left. Looks to me the drag link is too short not allowing the wheels to get position correctly. I measured the drag link from the end of the rod on the end to the center of the pivot point on the other end. It measured 24.0" I've been told that is a drag link for a NT not WT.

What length should the drag link be for a WT setup?

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
I have a '83 with WT. While getting the power steering all hooked up I found that when I turn the wheels all the way to the right they don't go as far as when I turn the wheels all the way to the left. Looks to me the drag link is too short not allowing the wheels to get position correctly. I measured the drag link from the end of the rod on the end to the center of the pivot point on the other end. It measured 24.0" I've been told that is a drag link for a NT not WT.

What length should the drag link be for a WT setup?
So is this a lame question or no one knows?

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
If you have too much angle in your drag link or a drop pitman arm, it may not steer evenly from right to left. As mentioned on here before, the drop arm shortens the total length relative to the stock pitman arm. Take a pic of your set-up and maybe we can help you a bit more accurately-

Scramblin_Jim

Legacy Registered User
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
I was told that the "tie rod end" of the drag link should be 24.64" long with Jeep/Chrysler PN of J8134350.

When it gets installed, the drag-link should nominally be adjusted to approx. 30" long, but may need to be adjusted a little longer or shorter, to get the steering wheel centered.

So if mine tie rod end is 24.0" long, it must be a narrow track one. Will I have enough adjustment room within the adjusting sleeve to get it to 30" and still be safe?

Anyone have experience with making this adjustment?