What new steering box upgrades have you used recently?

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Middleobro
State
MA
I read about the H1 and ordered one on Summit after 3 months they sent me a refund and say they cant get one. Is there anything else anyone is using new that is a bolt in for an upgrade?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Maybe find an old used one from a junk yard or online and have it rebuilt. Several years back I had one for my old suburban rebuilt and worked great

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I bought my h1 steering box on rockauto.com about 4 months ago. And yes, it really does just bolt in with zero modifications. It looks like they currently have one left. Get on it!

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I bought my h1 steering box on rockauto.com about 4 months ago. And yes, it really does just bolt in with zero modifications. It looks like they currently have one left. Get on it!
It fluctuates every day, and I can't make sense of how quickly they disappear and how quickly they show back up again. I checked a couple times a day and I'd get one loaded in my cart only to have it disappear. I finally got one of the Lares branded ones. I think it should bolt up but I've heard it might take some trimming.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
The lares brand is the one that I got. Everything bolted right in for me with no trimming involved. The variable steering is great!

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
The lares brand is the one that I got. Everything bolted right in for me with no trimming involved. The variable steering is great!
I've read they were using a non-H1 source for some of their rebuilt ones, which required a welded tab or something (i.e. they had already done the welding). :shrug:

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
SOA Member
City
Mckean
State
PA
I just bought a Lares 1230 unit from RockAuto for $200. It is listed as stock for Jeep CJs but is the "rock crawler" version compared to the 1231 part number. I live chatted with the Lares people the other day and they said the 1230 has a larger piston and case for bigger tires. It has the same dimensions as the Lares 1430 unit for the H1. The only difference is that the 1230 is 3.5-4 turns lock to lock verses the 3.5 turns for the 1430. The Lares rep said the 1430 unit does not have a variable ratio.

Plan to install mine this weekend.

OGRES

Legacy Registered User
LIFETIME
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I just bought a Lares 1230 unit from RockAuto for $200. It is listed as stock for Jeep CJs but is the "rock crawler" version compared to the 1231 part number. I live chatted with the Lares people the other day and they said the 1230 has a larger piston and case for bigger tires. It has the same dimensions as the Lares 1430 unit for the H1. The only difference is that the 1230 is 3.5-4 turns lock to lock verses the 3.5 turns for the 1430. The Lares rep said the 1430 unit does not have a variable ratio.

Do the standard hoses hook right up to this unit?

I need to do something about my steering very soon (leaky hoses) and I figured I might as well upgrade while I am at it.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL

What is the plan for the core, will your old one qualify for exchange?

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
SOA Member
City
Mckean
State
PA
I can't tell you for certain because I don't have it yet but I would certainly hope so. It's listed as a stock replacement on RockAuto and the Lares rep didn't mention anything about that. The H1 and stock 1980 and up CJ should all take the same metric o-ring style hoses.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
IMG_20190813_134316.jpg IMG_20190813_134310.jpg
Here is my H1 box installed from rockauto. No trimming or any other drama. Bolted right in with what I had already there. As for the core, I sent in the one from my cj and they took it without giving me any grief.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
SOA Member
City
Mckean
State
PA
Will do but the info I posted came direct from Lares. I never claimed it was an H1 box - but based on the conversation it seems like it could be. Not sure how they could get a larger piston in the OEM housing. By "stock for CJs" I simply meant it bolts in with no modifications to the mount or lines.

It will be here Friday so I'll let you know.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
IMG_20190222_183338.jpg

Here are the boxes side by side. The Piston is bigger and it definitely has the variable steer. I have the H1 lares 1430 box.