what to do! what to do!!

Idigmycj8

Basic User
City
Rensselaer, Indiana, United States
State
In
Hello fellow scramblers...
I recently acquired a 1981 cj-8 in trade that I saut out and came across on CL Indiana.. been looking for a jeep for a while. One of my bucket list must haves for a poor boy with a dream. I wanted something different n uncommon. That is the way I roll. I have posted some pics through the restore forum if interested n any advice is welcome.. Now my question is: my jeep came with a amc 304. I know its not the original motor. Im not familiar with this motor and am wondering if it is a good motor or should i look for something better. i went through it n it looks like motor has been refreshened or rebuilt. has no oil leaking anywhere. new plugs. rotor n cap. new in line see through glass fuel filter that has not had fuel through it. jeep had sit for about 5 yrs. in a barn. It has signs of the start of restore. frame was stripped down to just motor drive tran and front and back axles n tires. body was put back on before i picked up. All I did was get power to motor and fuel to carb n it started right up. I was impressed. so that said. should I keep it or ditch it.. what r you all's thought. Any ideas appreciated thanks. Dan

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I'd say to run it until there's a reason to change it. Why spend the money on a swap if it runs decent?

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Agreed. It sounds like it is in great shape. Enjoy it like it is. And if you want a restoration with original and correct parts, you can do the swap later. At least it is an AMC motor.

Dain

84jeepscrambler

84 Scrambler 68 Mustang
City
Kutztown
State
PA
Run with the 304... Why spend funds on something that works. Don't worry, other unexpected expenses will come up in your rebuild and those extra funds will come in handy. I know too well. JEEP (Just empty every pocket) :cheers:

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Yes, Keep what is running and enjoy it.

If you like the V-8 idea and do not mind the AMC mileage penalty then look for a 360 or 401 out of a Grand Waggy to swap in later. They are both the same for bolting up and will drop right in. If you have a penchant for stock look for a good rebuilt 258 or upgrade to a 4.0l with fuel injection. They share the same Transmission bolt pattern but will need different but stock engine mounts.

If you want better mileage and power the 4.8/5.3/6.0l GM engines are fast becoming a great swap, but then you are looking at a transmission too. But when you do it you can go overdrive for even more MPG.

But if you have a good drive-train and relatively rust free drive it while you can and get to know it. If you take it off the road to upgrade it can be a long time getting everything done and it is possible to lose interest or get discouraged. So enjoy for now.

Carl

Idigmycj8

Basic User
City
Rensselaer, Indiana, United States
State
In
sheet metal

I wanted to ask were i can get 18 gauge sheet metal to do some rust repair on some of the flat spots on side of my jeep n also it there is a place on line were i can get replacements just for around the top n sides of the wheel wells.