What Tranny do I have?

rb85cj7

Basic User
City
Temple
State
TX
I just bought a 82 scrambler with a automatic and I can't figure out what transmission it is. I have read that it most likely is a T-999 but I can't find any information on how to identify it.

rb85cj7

Basic User
City
Temple
State
TX
I was thinking that is what it was, but I haven't been able to find much info about it. Must not have been very common. I am trying to find a new torque converter or maybe a rebuild seal kit (kind of leaks). Any sources would be nice.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It's highly unlikely it's anything other than the 999 unless it's really built and someone put in a TF727 (has to be lifted to allow the front driveshaft to clear the larger pan).

Leaks where? What seal?

It was an option from the factory, but you're right, there were a small percentage of them. But because it was an option, the parts store can look them up and at least had the filter and pan seal kit.

I was pricing a deep tranny pan and found plenty of places selling 999 stuff through Google.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
They ain't that rare...I've managed to have them (without even trying/looking for them) in 3 of the CJ's I've owned and they were used from 1980 up until the first couple of years of TJ's...I've had at least two spares laying around at any given time. Essentially the same transmission as the Mopar version, just in an AMC compatible case, so you can use the Mopar deep pans, gaskets, seals, shift kits, etc. My project Scrambler is using a Mopar version behind a Mopar 360 with the Jeep tailhousing and shaft swapped on.

rb85cj7

Basic User
City
Temple
State
TX
What are you guys calling them when you search in google? I used t999 and torqueflight 999 and don't get much.