• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What would you do with this?

Texas1911

Basic User
City
Seminole
State
OK
I was replacing the rear main seal in the 258 the other day and found that the bearing was pretty scratched up. Since everything was working fine before, I just said a prayer and reassembled everything. After the fluids were topped off, I fired it up and everything seemed ok. The next day I finished went to start it and now it is rattling and knocking bad. I haven't taken it apart yet, but that bearing is the only thing that I really messed with. The bearing is bad for sure. If yall were on a shoestring budget what would be the way to go?

Attachments

• IMG_20181001_235845.jpg
    IMG_20181001_235845.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20181001_235858.jpg
    IMG_20181001_235858.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20181002_000639.jpg
    IMG_20181002_000639.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20181002_000647.jpg
    IMG_20181002_000647.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20181002_000655.jpg
    IMG_20181002_000655.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 44

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Open it up and see what you have. The fact it sounded fine before, and right after - makes me wonder if one of those main bearing cap bolts was loose or broke. I've had one break on me when torquing. Replaced it with a pair from the hardware store. Had a second (one from the hardware store) eight years later that wasn't torquing right, so I replaced it with the original one that I still had.

You set them to proper torque? Any oil pouring out? Any problems during the installation?

Texas1911

Basic User
City
Seminole
State
OK
No, I didn't have any problems during installation at all. everything went together pretty smooth.

Texas1911

Basic User
City
Seminole
State
OK
Nothing stood out. When I dropped the oil pan on it the first time, there were metal shavings in the bottom of it. Nothing crazy, but it was there.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Did you loosen all of the other bearing cap bolts to "sneak in" the seal? I'm referring to the other crank shaft bearings.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
No, it wasn't necessary. I only touched the rear one.

I did this on my jeep years ago, so maybe I'm remembering wrong. I remember loosening all of the bearing caps on the entire crank shaft so that the I could grab the top half of the lip seal and pull it out. Then there was enough room to slide a new top half in. After the seal was replaced, I went back and torqued all of the bearing caps.

Regardless, if it's "rattling and knocking bad", I don't think I'd risk running it. You know something changed in that crank area. Something must be wrong.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I did this on my jeep years ago, so maybe I'm remembering wrong. I remember loosening all of the bearing caps on the entire crank shaft so that the I could grab the top half of the lip seal and pull it out. Then there was enough room to slide a new top half in. After the seal was replaced, I went back and torqued all of the bearing caps.

Regardless, if it's "rattling and knocking bad", I don't think I'd risk running it. You know something changed in that crank area. Something must be wrong.
I've done it both ways. It helps in many cases, but isn't necessary.

I'd be focusing on torque specs and the possibility of a broken main cap bolt.

Texas1911

Basic User
City
Seminole
State
OK
It is on hold for the moment. I am in the process of moving. It will be next week before I can really mess with it. Please don't kill me because of the wait.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
It is on hold for the moment. I am in the process of moving. It will be next week before I can really mess with it. Please don't kill me because of the wait.

No rush. People here just want the best for the health and safety of your 8, so take your time and do things as "right" as possible. No use wrecking a motor due to rushing. Good luck with the move!