• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's best installing a TH350 into 82 çj8 or having old 3speed automatic transmission rebuilt any advice would be appreciated.

Dice216

City
Mount Carmel
State
PA
So I have a 1982 scrambler which is also an automatic transmission but when I put in drive it stalls cause torque converter is locked up tranny pan had alot of material in it but no big pieces so I was wanting to put a TH350 in cause alot easier to get parts for and get worked on any advice would be greatly appreciated....it has the 258 ci straight 6

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Not a direct answer to your query, but putting an AX15 5 speed in from Novak is about as easy as it's possible to be. The results would be a fun- to- drive manual allowing you to row though the gears at will in an frenzy of shifting excitement and providing cruising pleasure with a 23% overdrive.

You'd need a pedal tree from a YJ, which is easy and cheap to obtain and bell housing/ flywheel which Novak can provide.

Whether you upgrade your slushbox or go to a manual you'll need to modify or replace your drive shafts (tom woods makes high quality and affordable shafts).

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Would not the 350 Transmission need an adapter for 300 transfer?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Get the original rebuilt. It’s a very common Chrysler transmission, it should be a simple rebuild for most any transmission shop.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Original rebuilt or find a 32RH. Very similar trans, both can be built well. 32RH has crankshaft position sensor cutout if you want to do a junkyard MPI setup and only needs a clocking ring for Dana 300.

Dice216

City
Mount Carmel
State
PA
Ok thanks I was just needing some direction I'll be calling transmission shop see about getting it all redone appreciate it