What's on your Work Bench?

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
OK, so the boat trailer is just about done. The wiring was done by soldering all connections with what's called a "Western Union" splice, the tee's were done with the same method. Liquid electrical tape was applied after soldering then finally marine shrink wrap with adhesive/sealant over each joint. If you zoom in you can see that I ran 16 ga. - 4 conductor down each side. This was done so as to not use the trailer as a ground but use the tow vehicle as you should. The marker lights were spliced into the tails and ground circuits as well. I added my own "pole lights" with 11 LED strips. These are connected in the same manner.

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4544.jpg

Never would have imagined that there was an axle shortage going on but there is. Had these shipped up here from the coast along with new bunk mounting brackets.

IMG_4548.jpg

I picked up a 48" piece of 3" x 1/4" aluminum to sandwich between the new aluminum braces and the existing aluminum crossmember. The old carbon steel ones pitted the aluminum due to them being dissimilar metals. What I did was clean the oxidation with a wire wheel and apply grease between the new 1/4" plate and the brackets. I bridged the 6" area with12" of plate. Pictures will explain a bit better.

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

You can zoom in on this one and see it finished

IMG_4558.jpg

Done deal.......now to go get the boat! That's Ruby hanging out in the shrubs....

IMG_4561.jpg

And here's what prompted all of this

IMG_4552.jpg

JUNK - I think I kept myself off of the "Epic Fails" thread with this project.

IMG_4551.jpg

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I’m out right now, but when I get home I’ll shoot a pic of the rear bumper. I think they used a front bumper from the limited for 5he rear bumper. The front bumper is a custom aluminum setup only used on the overlanders.

Update, the caps on the rear bumper are plastic. I think Tommy told me they were from a special Jeep edition in 82???

They do not have any exposed screws or bolts.

View attachment 89475

View attachment 89474

View attachment 89476

I would be interested in a set or 2 of the aluminum castings. If they are cast without holes, that is how I would like them. I would tig a fastener to the rear to mimic the overlander caps so I can remove the stock ones and preserve them.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
IMG_0013 (3).JPG IMG_0014 (3).JPG IMG_0015 (3).JPG IMG_0019 (5).JPG
I found one of these "82 special Jeep edition" bumper extensions. With the metal plate on the inside, it holds the extension out from the bumper quite a bit. I was considering making these if there was enough interest but I'm liking the full extensions better. What are your thoughts?

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
The only Jeep I have ever seen them on (with my own eyes in person) was when I did the RHD

I think the front carriage bolts is a good idea, as it would be smoother, but if you have the light tabs as well as pictured ^^, you would have 2 style bolts now on the bumper... I guess it depends on what look is trying to be achieved.

This is definitely a one off case here as the bumper and then brush-guard, tow hooks, etc. are all jammed in there.

If you had just a plain stock black bumper, you would have the mounting bolts for it more visible and those are hex as well.

So, I said a lot here, but I don't have and overwhelming opinion either way... losing a bolt at the top and bottom to clean it up is fine, carriage or hex... not sure.

cb
I really like the look of the extensions on the green Overlander. Especially with the brush guard the extensions complete protected front look. I sanded down a pair and got them ready for polishing and will be using them on a chrome front bumper for the Scrambler I'm working on now. The other set is from the new pattern on a plate that I had the foundry make. I should have a few sets in a week or so.
IMG_0016 (4).JPG IMG_0017 (5).JPG

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Just a point of clarification. Craig’s green Jeep is a RHD CJ-7 from England, not an Overlander. The Overlanders had a custom aluminum front bumper.

None of that detracts from the very sharp looking front bumper on the England CJ-7s. I think they look great and would love to reproduce that look on my ‘82.

For the smaller SE extensions, I would imagine the market is very small. They were used on the rear bumpers of the Overlanders, and I have seen estimates of only 200 of those made. Of those 200, only a very small fraction would be in the market for metal reproductions (in the single digits I’d bet). The only others would for the limited edition Jeep owners, and that too is a very small group. Of those, if you want an original restoration, metal would not work.

With that all said, I would love a set of metal extensions. Really, I would want a set of scrambler rear bumper caps, small front extensions, and large front extensions. Call it the complete set. :P

Very excellent work. (y)

laffman

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Imlay City
State
MI
Did you blast it yourself. Thinking about how I will set up a blast booth to contain the mess and recover the medium.
Note sure if that question was for my hood and grille. They weren't blasted. There was no rust on either. Sanded the paint down with a DA, a few dents bumped out of the hood, skimmed to smooth it out and shot with epoxy primer. The black spots are a dusting of black primer for the wet sanding right before we seal and paint in a couple months. It helps when one of your best friends did body repair for 20 years.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
For the smaller SE extensions, I would imagine the market is very small.
Agree here. I wouldn't bother replicating these but might feel differently if I needed a pair. However, the larger end caps were a factory option/accessory for any of the CJs. More people are going to want these.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Agree here. I wouldn't bother replicating these but might feel differently if I needed a pair. However, the larger end caps were a factory option/accessory for any of the CJs. More people are going to want these.
You are probably right. I think ag4ever has a good idea to just cut the longer ones down to resemble the the short ones used on Limiteds and the rear bumper of the Overlanders.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
IMG_0002 (6).JPG I finished up a pair of these today for a J10. The original heat sealed design would have been so much easier to do than sewing around all those half-round beads. That's over 50 times going 360 degrees through the sewing machine to do the pair. I gotta stop doing these . . . they take up way too much time.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
View attachment 90994 I finished up a pair of these today for a J10. The original heat sealed design would have been so much easier to do than sewing around all those half-round beads. That's over 50 times going 360 degrees through the sewing machine to do the pair. I gotta stop doing these . . . they take up way too much time.
Amazing work! They look great