• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's the difference between...

DougCJ8

Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe
City
Arundel
State
ME
1981 Scramblers and the 1982-86? I know about the narrow track axles, is there more?

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
They also made some alterations to the firewall to accomidate the computer access. As far as mounting, I don't remember any obsticles other than the '81 & older front fenders need trimmed to accomidate the "Wide-Trac" front shock towers. :shrug:

Happy New Year :wave: :cheers:

DougCJ8

Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe
City
Arundel
State
ME
They also made some alterations to the firewall to accomidate the computer access. As far as mounting, I don't remember any obsticles other than the '81 & older front fenders need trimmed to accomidate the "Wide-Trac" front shock towers. :shrug:

Happy New Year :wave: :cheers:

So, installing WT axles would require using 82 and newer shock towers?

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
not required...but it lets you use the much longer shock used in 82-86. Makes a nice upgrade to the ride quality, but you will have to trim the inner fenders on earlier than 1981 to fit them. See links below.

EARLY MOUNT

LATE CJ MOUNT

Last edited:

okjeep

Basic User
City
Tulsa
State
OK
The transfer case may be the short shaft style. It was phased out through '81. Highly prized for the CJ-7 crowd to gain 1.5".

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Narrow track axles were offered in 1982 which appears to be a crossover year as both narrow and wide track 1982 Scramblers exist. Another crossover item appears to be three point seat belts; some 1982s have them and some don't.

My 1982 Scrambler is a narrow track with three point seat belts.

Joe

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
It's a "Jeep Thing".... :crazy: ;) Don't you just love it! :rotfl: :wave:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
How do you know if it came with 3-point belts or ?

My '82 has the widetrack axles, but the roll bar was not preppe for 3 poit belts, and the PO welded angle iron to the roll bar to mount 3-point belts on it at the request of his wife.

The half cab top has indentations where the seat belts mount, so I am not be sure if it came with 3-point belts or only 2-point.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
3 Point Belts

How do you know if it came with 3-point belts or ?

My '82 has the widetrack axles, but the roll bar was not preppe for 3 poit belts, and the PO welded angle iron to the roll bar to mount 3-point belts on it at the request of his wife.

The half cab top has indentations where the seat belts mount, so I am not be sure if it came with 3-point belts or only 2-point.

If it has the original roll bar, there is a mounting nut insert for the shoulder harness just above shoulder height. :wave:

Some of the "Early" 82s had the indention for the shoulder belt bolt but were never drilled if it used the 2 point lap belts. Remember, Jeep used "ALL" their inventory up before changing anything.

Last edited:

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
I have an 82 with wide tracks and lap belts. It did originally come with soft top/doors. That may have been a deciding factor on which belts went in....when the hard tops with the holes showed up at the factory!

just my $.02.:wave:

jallan

Jallan
City
Gulfport
State
MS
I have an 82 with wide tracks and lap belts. It came from the factory with a hard top and hard doors...as well as a SR4 transmission, also a carry over from 81. Production date of September '81 (almost a late 81 with wide tracks).

Last edited:

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
My 82 came with a hardtop and full doors from the factory. I'll check the production date on my Scrambler. Maybe we can figure things out from the actual production dates for the 82s. It would be interesting to see if there is a pattern. I'll start a new thread for this so we don't continue to hijack this thread.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
1981 Scramblers and the 1982-86? I know about the narrow track axles, is there more?

I can't fully determine all the following differences between '81 and '82 models, but some of the items that I have found that are different between an '81 Laredo and an '83 Laredo are as follows.

1. '81 hood has a small opening on the driver's side of the hood.
2. '81 seat frames have single point legs, as opposed to bottom rail supports found on '83.
3. '83 has intermittent wiper switch.
4. '83 has a quartz clock.
5. '81 has solid corners on the dash pad, while '83 has notched corners.
6. '81 hard doors have fixed vent windows, while '83 has operable vent windows (reason for notched dash pad).
7. '81 has a tall height transfer case shifter, while '83 is a short height shifter.
8. '81 has an odometer with six digits, while an '83 has seven digits.
9. '81 windshield has a flat lower exterior area near the wipers, while an '83 has a single "rib".
10. '83 Laredo has fuzzy interior door bottoms, while '81 doors are smooth.
11. '83 has a plastic air vent diverter located near the driver's right leg.
12. '81 center console has a cushion.
13. '83 has a more "slim" style of windshield/hood supports.
14. '81 has "checkered" footsteps, while '83 has "scuff/slip" pads.
15. '81 has a different emergency brake mount than the '83.

Plus the other items mentioned above regarding seat belts, shock mounts and axles. The above items are off the top of my head, so there may be some more variations.

Last edited: