• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's this? Trying to (identify part)

Jim S

Basic User
City
Bay Shore
State
NY
After being rear-ended at speed on a local highway two years ago, I've been rebuilding my '84 CJ-8. The heavy lifting is done and i'm working into the smaller, fuctional details now. I have a couple of questions for the knowledgeable out there.

1) see photo below. What is this part? It has hose connectors I figure it is either part of the windshield washer system or it has something to do with a vacuum system (emissions?). It has not been hooked up to anything in the five year I've owned and the three years I've driven the Jeep. The windshield washer system is totally non-functional and I would like to restore it before winter arrives. The old pump and tank are there, but nothing else as far as I can determine. The pump looks like a block of rust and will probably need replacing, too.

2) There is no horn! This is something you do need in New York! where is the wire supposed to exit the steering column and where is the stock horn location in the engine compartment. Also, can anyone recommend a good choice for a loud, intimidating horn replacement?

3) The emissions system on this thing is bastardized beyond all recognition. I am giving serious thought to replacing the aging aftermarket Weber carb with the Mopar port injection system. Anybody familiar with this conversion and done it recently?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Best,

Jim S.

IMG_3948.JPG

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Thanks! So it isn't doing anything at the moment. I can probably eliminate it when I convert to EFI.

Yes, any EFI system should come with a MAP sensor, which is the modern equivalent of this part :thumbsup:

Don't throw the old part away, it might be valuable to someone trying to restore their stock carb system :twocents:

mrenfro

City
Randolph
State
KS
I am pretty sure my horn is in the original position which is on top of the left front fender well near the front of the Jeep. My '84 has only a single horn that is not very intimidating.

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
2) There is no horn! This is something you do need in New York! where is the wire supposed to exit the steering column and where is the stock horn location in the engine compartment. Also, can anyone recommend a good choice for a loud, intimidating horn replacement?

The horn system is more complex than you would think. The is no "wire" underneath the horn button in the column. Instead, there is a metal plunger that is spring loaded (part of the turn signal cancelling cam) and stays in contact at it its top end with a flexible metal disk under the horn button that is isolated from anything metal in the column. When the horn button is depressed the metal disk contacts a metallic part of the column and completes the horn circuit. Depressing the horn actually sends a ground signal to the horn relay, which then sends 12 volts to the horn. The spring loaded metal plunger makes constant contact on its bottom end with the turn signal switch assembly and the wire exiting this assembly exits the bottom of the column with all the other column wires and goes to the horn relay. The horn should be on the driver's fender under the hood and the positive wire that goes to it is red with a white tracer. The relay is a 3 prong relay and is usually behind the dash just to the left of the steering column. The horn itself usually just has one wire going to it (positive from the relay) and grounds itself through the fender. NOTE: there is no fuse in the fuse block on the firewall for stock CJ horns as far as I know. The red with white tracer wire from the relay goes through the firewall via the fuse block (but again there is no fuse in the circuit) and straight to the horn.

Check to see if the horn works by making 2 sets of small jumper wires (12g wire about 4' long with alligator clamps on each end - one black for ground and one red for positive - good for all sorts of things when testing CJ wiring!). Hook the jumper wires directly to the horn and see what happens! If it works then trouble shoot the relay with a test lamp next. See if you have power at the horn with the horn button depressed. If you do, check to make sure the horn is grounded at its mounting point (good time to use those jumper wires you made!). If you don't have power at the horn then check the relay. If the relay is good it will "click" when the horn is depressed (you can usually hear the click but you definitely feel it with your hand on the relay). If the relay isn't working then you need check if the relay is bad or just not receiving ground signal from the horn button (again - good time to use your jumper wires). If the problem is in the column then you have some work to do because you will need pullers to get to the turn signal cancelling cam (these can be rented for free from autozone or advance auto or purchased cheaply).

Good luck - I just went through this entire process with 2 CJ's in the past month!

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
I just diagnosed a horn issue to being a bad relay, but I could still hear it click, and I still got some voltage to the horn! Just not a full 12v that it needed to make any noise. I was mystified until I measured it with the multi-meter. Replaced the relay and all was good.

oregonscrambler

Basic User
Silver Member
City
hood river
State
OR
I gotta say I friggin love how much info is on this forum. It took me some digging and some creative keyword usage, but I've been scratching my head over this now obsolete to my jeep part for a bit now and there it is! And not needed, so anyone in need of that computer carb control part it's yours.