• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Wheel bearing grease

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
What are y'all using on wheel bearings?

I've got an AMC20 torn down now, fixing to tear into another one on the street Jeep. I've always used Marine grease on my ATV wheel bearings because I pretty much use them at lower speeds under water (they're boats with wheels).

Timken wheel bearing grease is $12/ 16oz. Is the wally world red high temp grease acceptable for CJ wheel bearings or should I go name brand?

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I always use Amsoil Synthetic wheel bearing grease. I've been using this in everything for 25 years and haven't had a single issue.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I use Mobil 1 synthetic on mine, never had any issues with it and it seems to hold up well.

SeeJayAte

CJ-8 Member
City
Greenfield
State
In
X2 on the Mobil 1. I use it for the bearings on the Warn full floater on my AMC 20. Not a fun job to do so why not use the best you can whenever you can.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
X2 on the Mobil 1. I use it for the bearings on the Warn full floater on my AMC 20. Not a fun job to do so why not use the best you can whenever you can.

Eh, good point.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
X2 on Amsoil red grease also. And for a bonus your neighbors think you murdered someone after packing wheel bearings.😉

Sent from my SM-N910P

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I use it for the bearings on the Warn full floater on my AMC 20. Not a fun job to do so why not use the best you can whenever you can. AMSOIL!

Fixed it for you Steve. :cheers:

(Just kidding a good friend) :thumbsup: :wave:

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
I use Mobil SHC100 Aviation Grease. Mil-Spec MIL-G-81322. I'm an aircraft mechanic and we have to "dispose" of any expired consumables, so the magically end up in my shop. :) I figure if it is good enough for a 55 Million dollar business jet that has it's wheels spin up to 150mph instantly on touch down, it's good enough for any of my vehicles that see 80 mph at most.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Ha, lucky you.

I ended up with Mobil 1. Been busy so haven't done much with the axles yet.

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
While the Mobil 1 grease isn't the exact same as the SHC100 that I use, it is very similar. If I didn't have the "source" for mil-spec aviation grease, that is what I would use.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Been using Timken Red grease for years, but I think I paid a fair bit less than your price (don't recall exactly what I paid for a 5 gallon bucket 10+ years ago, but I think it was about $50-60 back then).