• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Wheel bearing tension / brake drag

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
So I torqued the wheel bearing nut to 50 ft-lbs, back off 1/4 turn, like the book says. The wheel would spin pretty easily. Then torqued the second nut (locknut). The wheel would then spin a little less easily. I put the disc brake calipers back on. I never did crack open the hydraulics. Just slid them off the disc, and then back on. They seemed to open a bit to make this possible. But once it's all put back together, now the wheel does not spin easily, and I can hear the brakes dragging. Are the wheel bearings to tight? Or is the brake drag the real issue? If start the engine and operate the brakes (power) a few times, will it loosen up? Or do I need to drive it and actually use the brakes a few times?

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
I think i would start over and re-torque your locknuts as it sounds like you initially spun the inner locknut whilst tightening the outer locknut its easily done.

You also need to squeeze the caliper pistons back in to their housings whilst you are taking it in bits as there should be next to no drag on the discs they should not bind at all.
i gently pry the pads in with a prybar and piece of timber on the disc to protect it (dont force it too much when levering on the disc you can damage the disc!)or you can use a g-clamp or similar if you wish.
They will only squeeze back in very slowly as the brake fluid gets squeezed out but should move with some resistance, you will be able to tell if they are binding in the bores trust me as they will be solid and not want to move at all.
Make sure the caliper pistons are free to move the fact its dragging now means it may be time for new calipers or a rebuild time for them they may also just be stuck in the bores from lack of use and a bit of movement may sort them out.

If you do squeeze the pistons in watch out for brake fluid from your master cylinder overflowing as you will be refilling the master cylinder i wouldn't want to ruin your paintwork with brake fluid eating it so keep some water handy to wash it off just in case!.

And also make sure once its all back together you press the brake pedal down a few times to bring the brake pads back in to the discs or you will be in for a big shock driving down the road when you go for the brakes and there are none!.

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Thanks..

I get the part about the brakes. The part I don't get is when tightening the outer wheel bearing locknut, it made the bearings tighter. There's a washer inbetween the two nuts that prevents the inner one from turning. My assumption was that the outer one presses inward and any lateral "slop" in the threads at the inner nut would push it a bit more inward..(?) I haven't done this job in about 5 years but I don't remember this happening last time.. Hmmm

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
The washer between the bearing and locknut doesn't stop the inner locknut tuning its the outer locknut that locks it all in place and then that is prevented from coming loose through the tabbed washer sandwiched between the 2 locknuts which ensures the outer locknut cannot work loose.

You should have the outer bearing then a washer with a locating peg that fits in the slot in the spindle then the first locknut then a tabbed washer also with a locating peg then the outer locknut.
Oh and also greasy hands if you have done it all correctly :giggle:

MomoJeep

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
The washer between the bearing and locknut doesn't stop the inner locknut tuning its the outer locknut that locks it all in place and then that is prevented from coming loose through the tabbed washer sandwiched between the 2 locknuts which ensures the outer locknut cannot work loose.

You should have the outer bearing then a washer with a locating peg that fits in the slot in the spindle then the first locknut then a tabbed washer also with a locating peg then the outer locknut.
Oh and also greasy hands if you have done it all correctly :giggle:

Yes, correct. But the tabbed washer between the two locknuts keeps the inner nut from turning while tightening the outer nut. So I don't know why tightening the outer nut make the bearings tighten up, other than putting more pressure on the inner washer moving it inward a tiny bit...(?)