Where can I get a spare tire carrier?

matnic

Scrambler-in-Progress
City
Rapid City
State
MI
Seams like I've seen some posts about this before. I was thinking about doing this somewhere down the line. I don't recall where the post was (this site, Michiganjeepers.com, qudratec forum, etc.), but it seams like they weren't a factory item. It seams that you have to find a side mount from an old cj5 and weld it on, or do something similar to that. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
they were factory. Dad has one on his 85 and he "doesn't do mods" He took the spare off and bolted a board to his mount and uses it to carry his outboard boat motor.......

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
I have one on my roll bar...

I don't intend on using it, so you can have it if I can get it off...Or, I can look at it and see if I can make a template so I can duplicate it or whatever....I'll try to remember to go look at it tonight...

Bill

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
If Bill's doesn't work, you can also find them on ebay every once in a while.

Truck

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
Took a torch to it....

Had to use the gas powered wrench, but I got the thing off. PM or e-mail me your address and I'll UPS it to you....Got anything to trade? I need just about everything so let me know....

Bill

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
In the mail....

Your "new" spare tire carrier just drove away in the big brown truck....You should have it in a few days I guess...

I send out 30-40 packages a day with UPS, so I just threw in one more....I'd rather have you owe me a favor than send me 8 bucks for shipping.....:)

Besides, I might break down in Illinois sometime and need a hand...You never know...

I went to Peoria once. Back in the day, I had a Trucking Co. and used to transport boats all over the country. Some guy in Peoria bought a small jet boat to pull his drag boat to the starting line. He paid me big $$$$ to deliver this one boat to him within 24 hrs. in time to show it off at some race.....I made it in like 18 hrs....

That's my Smokey and the Bandit story for the day.....

1crazy-jeeper

What's a scrambler?
Thanks Bill. Just recieved it in the mail. Not much to these things. I'm really suprised I havn't seen them in the aftermarket. I'll have er installed by nightfall.

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
Glad to see it go to use...

I don't know if your roll bar was pre-drilled or not, but mine had a sleeve welded all the way through the roll bar. I don't know that it's necessary to do that if you don't have the holes already there.

I plan on making some sort of spare tire carrier and attaching it to the back. Of course I'll have to get a spare tire first....

Bill

1crazy-jeeper

What's a scrambler?
Nope. Had to drill it. A couple of new grade 8 bolds and my 33"er fits real nice. Of course now that you mention it I'll probably wish It had some sort of brace in a year or two when it has wobbled my roll bar to pieces. But hey one problem at a time.

Thanks again Bill. It looks great!:)

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
Holy Cow....

I was browsing Ebay today....Tire Carrier

I should have made a template of that piece. I can see there is quite a market out there!:eek:

Of course I saw the $300.00 Laredo grab bar too....There was a Laredo grab bar last week on Ebay that went for $15.00....