• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Where to look for body rot: Photos added

mowingman

Basic User
City
Denton
State
tx
I have not owned a Scrambler before, but have a chance to buy one. I have a friend, who has one stored in the weeds behinds his business, and he wants it gone. It belongs to his stepson.
I had a quick look at it last week, but plan to go back for a more thorough inspection this week.
What are the typical problem areas for rust and rot?
I noticed a few rust through holes on the body sides below each door. Overall, the paint looks good, but no telling what is hiding under there.What other areas should I really look at closely?
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Good thread for the problem areas there. Does it have any top on it as it sits? Does it start/drive? Doesn't sound like it, but just curious.

If you can get pictures to post (there's a how-to thread on picture posting in the how-to/help forum on here), we can give you a better idea on any issues we see.

mowingman

Basic User
City
Denton
State
tx
Thanks for refering me to that other thread. Very good info.
I have only had a quick glance at this Scrambler. It looks very straight and solid, and has nice paint. I am worried about what I might find under the paint. Has a nice half cab, roll bar, good tires, including a matching spare. It was driven in there and parked, a little over a year ago, but has a transmission problem. It has the 6 cyl engine and a manual transmission. The transmission wants to go into two gears at the same time. Not sure what that is all about. Cab was locked, so my friend is going to get the keys, so I can look over the interior closer. I also will be taking a battery to try and get it started. Weather is supposed to be bad this week, thus I am not sure when I will really get to look it over better..
I have a couple of full size J10's, and two full size Cherokees, and am aware of the rot areas on them. The Scrambler is a new machine to me, so I do not want to overlook anything.
Will post back here after I get a better look at it.
Thanks,
Jeff

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Take a magnet to check for real metal (didn't read through the whole linked post to see if that was mentioned). Lots of instances of fiberglass/bondo on these under nice paint.

mowingman

Basic User
City
Denton
State
tx
Went back and took those photos today. They are still trying to locate the keys, so I can try starting it. In the photos, you can see the rust bubbles below the doors. So far, I don't see any other rot.
Jeff

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
With the wear/weathering on the interior and the fact that everything is sprayed the same color, it makes me want to guess that there's some fun hiding under the paint, but it sure looks like a great starting point and I could be totally wrong. The edges of the rear wheelwell do look good and that's a common spot for rot that's hard to hide.

Did you get a look at the floorpans or the frame underneath? What about the bed, it almost doesn't look like the one wheelwell in the bed got the new paint?

The bubbles under the doors are about the most common spot.

Overall though, there's a ton of folks on here that would like to have that to start with, whatever the issues end up being :thumbsup:

mowingman

Basic User
City
Denton
State
tx
I crawled under the jeep a little today, but it was cold and the thing is sitting in tall weeds and scrap metal. I see no rot on the frame and no rot on the floor pans. If they ever find the keys, I can unlock it, and look over the interior a lot better. My guess is that it has a cheap Maaco paint job.
My gut feeling right now, is to offer $2000.00, if they find the keys, if I can get it started, if the engine sounds good, and if the floors look solid.
If I buy it without keys and can not here it run, I will probably offer $1000.00 - $1200.00 or so.
Will post back after we see how the key situation turns out.
Jeff

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Is it just me or does that front left fender look a little out of whack where it meets the body? I love the fender flares, looks like someone was taking care of it at some point. From what I can see so far it really does look like a nice starting point.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Is it just me or does that front left fender look a little out of whack where it meets the body? I love the fender flares, looks like someone was taking care of it at some point. From what I can see so far it really does look like a nice starting point.

You're right, it does. Those look like the Xenon wide flares. I have them and love them, they're well built and nice and flexible, not at all brittle like some aftermarket flares.