• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Where to purchase CJ8 Tailgate rubber bumpstops?

martycj8

Basic User
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
I have checked:
Quadratec,
4WD,
Omix,
Crown,
Ebay,
Amazon,
McMaster-Carr
With no luck. The tailgate bump-stops for a CJ8 are different from a CJ7 tailgate due to the open bed.
Thanks.

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
Hmm - about to say that there aren't any - but the PL shows them, i don't know where they would fit though as the seal takes up all of the usable space. There should be a generic size available - surprised McMaster doesnt have.

martycj8

Basic User
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
I have measured the stock bump stops which are old and cracked. See the attached picture. McMaster-Carr does not seem to have one close. 3/4 inch diameter in the middle, .685 in. Tall.

Attachments

• 20210622_121952.jpg
    20210622_121952.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 7

martycj8

Basic User
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
Measurement of diameter at narrow end.

Attachments

• 20210622_121755.jpg
    20210622_121755.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 3

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
There is one supplier on eBay but it’s high.

You could also use the OEM style tailgate weatherstripping. I think those were used on 7’s.

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
I ordered a set of the stops off eBay. They were correct as far as shape and size. It was $30 for those and the two hoods bumps by the cowl.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I bought the set on EBay too. They worked well for me.

martycj8

Basic User
City
Las Vegas
State
NV
I purchased two of the McMaster-Carr #9540k951 bumpstops for $18.32 (including shipping and tax). I needed to use a larger diameter sheetmetal screw of the same length as old screw, with a small washer. See attached pictures of comparison with old and the final install. The height is 0.750in. old Vs 0.685 new. I am happy with the final results and durometer 60A hardness.

Attachments

• 20210625_142332.jpg
    20210625_142332.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 7