• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Where to Start?

Gean

Basic User
City
Colfax
State
IA
I have picked up abandoned Scrambler projects from 3 different people. As such, I’ve got some (a lot of) stuff lying around. In particular, I have an iron duke, with what I think is a T4 and Dana 300. Most of my friends around here tell me the 4 cylinder engine is generally not worth much, but the trans and transfer case are. Any advice? Worth rebuilding, selling, parting out? Thoughts?

Attachments

• AF8C4E5E-8683-4A82-9644-4504EAE725E7.jpeg
    AF8C4E5E-8683-4A82-9644-4504EAE725E7.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 22
  • 117782BE-B991-4117-88D2-4AAE46DAF606.jpeg
    117782BE-B991-4117-88D2-4AAE46DAF606.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 23
  • FCEE20C1-FD9E-4B9A-8F5E-153269C67F12.jpeg
    FCEE20C1-FD9E-4B9A-8F5E-153269C67F12.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 21

Gean

Basic User
City
Colfax
State
IA
I should mention, I’m not selling anything at this point, just want advice. I have a 258 drive train pretty well built, but I have enough spare parts lying around to build a second Scrambler - just leery about putting a lot of time and money into a 4 cylinder

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Don’t use the 4 cylinder engine. Trans could be a SR4. Super week. Tc is awesome Dana 300

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Based on the pictures, I think its a T4 vs SR4 from how the shifter attaches. That said, neither the engine or trans is really worth using. The transfer case is great though.

Here is a pic of my SR4:

EEC37724-78E1-46D5-9C92-AC2A376A5687.jpeg

Gean

Basic User
City
Colfax
State
IA
Great! Thank you both! So is the best use for the engine just scrapping it? Seems to be a shame, but I don't need more junk sitting around. Should I post it up on FB Marketplace or Craigslist for free? Or should I offer it to some of the Jeep sites first? I don't want it to just get melted down - unless thats all it it worth.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Iron dukes were used in a lot of GM cars. Might be somebody that wants one, but I doubt it.

The transmission is a T-4 if it is a 4 speed (T-5 if 5 speed). Worth some money, but not much.

Transfercase is worth decent money. (Too bad the shift knob threads are snapped off though)

The bell housing from the Iron Duke to the T-4 is also worth money. Same bolt pattern as chevy small block, so swappers covet them.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Yeah, just please don't let this turn into a for sale thread.

Gean

Basic User
City
Colfax
State
IA
Much to my wife's chagrin (and anger, really) I have trouble selling anything. I just know if I sell something I'll need it a month from now!

adman02

Basic User
City
Durham
State
nc
I just scrapped my iron duke. Had it up for free on a local 4x4 site for a month and not a single taker. I think the scrap yard gave me $30?

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
I tore my Iron Duke apart. Saved the aluminum bits, tossed the exhaust manifold in the trash, bolted the head to my cherry picker as ballast, and stare at the block imagining a wine rack coffee table with matching crank and cam table lamps..... Soooooo, basically I'm still tripping over it.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I tore my Iron Duke apart. Saved the aluminum bits, tossed the exhaust manifold in the trash, bolted the head to my cherry picker as ballast, and stare at the block imagining a wine rack coffee table with matching crank and cam table lamps..... Soooooo, basically I'm still tripping over it.
That sounds heavy. I have a moose antler coffee table I made sorta like that - looks awesome, but hate having to move it. It sits in the spare bedroom now so our toddler doesn't poke her eye out.