• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

White Spoke Wheel Color?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
What white are factory white spokes? I’m going to send my set out next week to get powder coated, and I want to make sure I get the correct color. All the wheels that I have ever seen are a bit on the creamy side, not a pure chalk white. Or do they just fade creamy? I thought I read this in a thread but my searches came up with nothing. Help!

Emile

City
Wilsonville
State
OR
Good thread here... Original 83 CJ wheel white paint color https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4301873

Interesting final post...see below.

It only seems to be off white due to the single thin white paint sprayed over black primer.

I've been into the white wagon wheels since the early 80's and new wheels were white from the factory but often looked a bit off white from the primer underneath.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
What is the thickness of the pin stripe? Blasted and epoxy coated my wagon wheels. Some time before wheels are mounted I will pinstripe them. Took a picture of where the stripe should be, but never even thought to measure. Looks like a 1/4" or3/16".

Last edited:

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I have read Olympic White was used but have never been able to confirm. Also there is a debate on powder coating vs paint. Seems on OEM CJ wheel the spoke rim valley will trap powder coat and as heated pop bulbs in finish. I have a set of white 8” for Project Caroline I need to finish so look forward to following this thread and others experience.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Lots of good info on that JF thread! I will have to talk to my powdercoater about the valley area- I know on the fenders on Copper that area was a constant problem. I really want powdercoating and I’m using someone different now, so hopefully they have it all dialed in.

I am supposed to be picking up a second set of white spokes today- undrilled however. I’ll have to drill at least one for my spare. Praying the deal goes through.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
My PC guy said where they come together, The valley there can be problems, none so far but mine is in a garage a lot also

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Olympic white would have been the obvious choice since that was used on the bodies of white CJs. I'd expect the white bumpers to be Olympic white, too. With red, the closest the powder coater can do will look great.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The deal went through- I now have 8 white spokes. 2 have a bit of lip damage though, but at least I have a spare and a backup. Got a lot of work ahead of me this week-

Olympic white looks like a winner.

NHScrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Chester
State
NH
I dropped the wheels off at the powder coated today. They had a creamy white and “Wheel white”. Wheel white it is- it’s a bright pure white, very neutral. Can’t wait to see them!
Nice, I am dropping off my wheels for powder coating this week as well. I can't wait to see how both of ours come out.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Nice, I am dropping off my wheels for powder coating this week as well. I can't wait to see how both of ours come out.
Awesome! I’m heading out on a short vacation next week so I probably won’t have results until the week after.

NHScrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Chester
State
NH
The place told me a 3-4 day turn around so I should get mine 3-4 days after I actually get them to the shop. 8-)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The place told me a 3-4 day turn around so I should get mine 3-4 days after I actually get them to the shop. 8-)
Nice! We had one coater close shop here, so that leaves two. They’re so busy with big projects that I don’t think they want to deal with “little” stuff. Thankfully I remembered the wheel repair place!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Side note- the powder coat shop I normally use wanted almost $150/wheel with a 2 month wait. NW Wheel and Tire is doing it for $80 each.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
The guy that did mine 2-3 years ago charged me $200 for all 5 of mine. A friend told me about him. Lives way out in the sticks and I had to drive an hour each way, but I am very satisfied. No telling what the cost is now.

Emile

City
Wilsonville
State
OR
I'm having a bumper blasted/powered for $225, went to a local ag store to do.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'm having a bumper blasted/powered for $225, went to a local ag store to do.
I remember when I built Copper- the whole cage was $250 and all the fenders, flares, battery boxes and a few other little goodies came to $350. He used to charge $40/wheel then. I got a hold of him- he lost his lease and closed shop but he was up to $80/wheel before he quit. It seems lately everything in Central Oregon has gone nuts. They’ve got a captive audience and they know it.

I was going to have my bumpers coated textured black to match my rocker trim- but it looks like it will be more cost effective to buy new ones already coated.

Emile- that bumper is sweet! Should look awesome powder coated!

NHScrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Chester
State
NH
Side note- the powder coat shop I normally use wanted almost $150/wheel with a 2 month wait. NW Wheel and Tire is doing it for $80 each.
I called a local powder coat shop and they wanted $130 a wheel. Sullivan tire a local chain is getting them done for $30 a piece to blast/zinc and coat. They said black/white and grey are $30. Custom colors a bit more.

Emile

City
Wilsonville
State
OR
I remember when I built Copper- the whole cage was $250 and all the fenders, flares, battery boxes and a few other little goodies came to $350. He used to charge $40/wheel then. I got a hold of him- he lost his lease and closed shop but he was up to $80/wheel before he quit. It seems lately everything in Central Oregon has gone nuts. They’ve got a captive audience and they know it.

I was going to have my bumpers coated textured black to match my rocker trim- but it looks like it will be more cost effective to buy new ones already coated.

Emile- that bumper is sweet! Should look awesome powder coated!
I've got a special surprise for it once I get it back, but you're going to have to wait and see.