• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Who's done a Bestop Trailmax II rear fold and tumble?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I need headrests in the back and a bigger seat overall for Laura now, who's put one of these in the back of their Scrambler?

How'd it fit? What did it take to mount? Did it come with hardware to pick up the built-in bolt holes?

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
I was thinking of the same question this week, as our oldest is almost out of the harnessed car seat with headrest too.:thumbsup:

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
I have two in the back. They fit and work well but the headrests are low so make sure the height is adequate for your kids. I'd measure for you but am currently 10k miles from my scrambler.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I have it as well and it came with everything to install. The head rest is low but works for my 8 year old daughter. if she gets any taller I may need to put her back into a booster for the head support or fabricate something to hold the head rest higher. It looks damn good in the Jeep though.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ah, well, that sucks as I'm looking for my 11 year old who's not exactly short. I know I've seen these in folks' rigs, I just never had Laura in one or really paid much attention.

Part of me wants to just put a single front seat in back for her, but that gets into fabbing seat brackets and part of doing this was going to involve redoing my rear shelf to make it easier to pull out and then fold the seat forward to use the Scrambler for cargo hauling. That means I'd have to figure out how to make the seat/brackets removable without a ton of effort or I defeat that part of the purpose. I also like to have the option of a fourth person hopping in with us when needed.

I've basically retired it from hauling duty since putting the spare and rack in the bed (I do love the rack setup though.) I want to pull the spare out for everything but trail trips and then have the ability to yank out the shelf when needed or leave it out until I need it for a trip.

IMG_0084.JPG

Replying to Beemer's post about redoing his cage for rear four point belts got me thinking and realizing how much I miss using the Postal for general hauling :(

Bad Karma put the rear bench out of a 2-door JK into the back of his Scrambler and I know that's a sweet setup, but that involves finding one and a lot of fab work to make it all work, more than I want to get into with this. :shrug:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Thats the seat I have in the back of my scrambler. It comes with 3 brackets - 2 front, 1 rear. I believe I only drilled 2 holes to mount it - both on the front brackets (I believe the rear holes). The back bracket for the fold and tumble went through the factory mounting hole, as did the seat belts.

It fits well and folds out of the way nicely. The only downside is that it doesn't have anything to hold it folded up. Also, like others have said, the headrests aren't super high.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
One I have doesn't have anything to hold it up either. Usually, if I'm folding it, there's cargo that will keep it in place.

Going to have to think on this, there's no point if the headrest isn't high enough. Guessing that's part of what allows it to fold and tumble, where a taller back/headrests screws that up...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI

I remember this...

There's a "step 2" for the back seat that's part of the reason I wasn't looking to get into fab work now. I have the Wagoneer axles in my Postal and therefore I don't need much of the wheel well depth (meaning from the side of the tub inward) in addition to needing to do some serious repair of the tub where the wheel wells meet it.

The plan in my head is to take out however much of the depth of the wheel wells that I can at the same time as I fix the tub, making room for a proper rear seat that's wider and folds down (likely giving up the tumble, but that'd be fine to get the better seat.) So I don't really want to spend time and money fabbing things for an incremental step. I've tried to avoid that with everything on my build.

At the same time as the wheel wells get changed up and tub is repaired back there, I wanted to outboard my rear shocks to once-and-for-all get rid of the rock anchors that are the Rubicon Express u-bolt skid shock mounts. I bend one or both at least once per trip :angry:

I don't see me having anything close to the time needed to do the wheelwells/tub repair and fabbing the rear seat setup before it needs to be workable for the National and Sand Blast. Always pegged that as a winter project :shrug:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
If you are doing it for Laura, forget about it. I had it in my Scrambler for a couple of years. Once my son was 6, the headrest was just way too low. It was not a safe situation. I yanked the seat out and never replaced it. I am back to having a 2 seater. If I were you, I would only consider a full size front seat that maybe folds flat. Like from a PT Cruiser or HHR or something. I can't remember which compact cars advertised putting a ladder in the car by folding the passenger seat flat. But it is out there. Good luck.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
I am looking at a set of these to modify by adding a stock cj seat mount. They are out of a Ford Transit van. They measure about 36" wide, have a 15" deep seat, a 24" tall back plus the headrest, and a set of shoulder belts built in as a bonus.

00g0g_6QyLRxGNCFt_600x450[1].jpg

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I am looking at a set of these to modify by adding a stock cj seat mount. They are out of a Ford Transit van. They measure about 36" wide, have a 15" deep seat, a 24" tall back plus the headrest, and a set of shoulder belts built in as a bonus.

View attachment 59346

I never would have added a back cage if I new about this set up. i did the back cage just for the should belt option. That's nice.

rcork

CJ-8 Member
City
Cape Girardeau
State
MO
You guys might also look at Sprinter van seats. They look very similar to the transit van seats but have been around in the US longer. We bought some from a shop in Memphis years ago for a work Sprinter. I could probably find their name if needed. I believe they did handicap conversions on Sprinters and just jerked the factory seats out to fit wheelchairs.
Robert

Bambenz

City
Roswell
State
GA

View attachment 59346
Did you ever get these installed would love to see a pic

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
Did you ever get these installed would love to see a pic
No, I did not install it. The seat was about 1/2" too wide to sit between the wheel wells. Too much work to cut the seat down to fit.