Who's running a header on their I-6?

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
What's up guys?! I have been lurking around lately just watching what is going on. I am still working on the Scrambler as we all are. I finally finished a all new fuel system from the tank forward and it is running flawlessly now. Next project is going to be the exhaust. I happened to score a couple of free Super 40's which I was going to hold on to until I could save up enough for a header. Fate had it that my manifold cracked and I had been hiding away a few bucks here and there and happened upon a set of dual outlet headers on craigslist real close to my house so I picked them up. I have youtube'd videos and of course the sound quality on most of them suck but some of them are decent. My question is are any of you running them and do you like them. I have never heard them in person and would like to hear some opinions on what you guys think about headers on the I-6. If you have any videos you could direct me to that would be great too.

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
Iron Man up in your neck of the woods put one on mine back in the mid 90's (I was a run of the mill dual outlet Pacesetter brand if I remember correctly). Is the James Gang still kicking around?

I went through a couple of gaskets in the first few months until I got one that sealed well. It definitely made the motor sound tougher (almost but not quite like a V-8) if that is what you are looking for. It did give me more hill acceleration at highway speeds (with the stock 2.73 gears) which was welcomed. The header has lasted ~40K miles since then...plenty of surface rust but no holes yet. Here's a video of it...bad quality but better than nothing:
https://www.facebook.com/kenneth.wa...4817808923680/919608698185376/?type=2&theater

Last edited:

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Yea the Ironman crew is still up there growing cudzoo on most everything they have. I could spend days walking around up there. Tried to watch the video but the link is bad.

cw05

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Augusta
State
GA
Yea the Ironman crew is still up there growing cudzoo on most everything they have. I could spend days walking around up there. Tried to watch the video but the link is bad.
Glad to hear that nothing has changed in the last 25 years. Hopefully they sweep the dirt floors from time to time.

If you are a member of Dawn and Jody Abbott's 'Southern CJ Jeep sales/trade' FB page...just go there and type in '258' in the 'search posts' in upper right hand corner. Then page down to my video posted July 15th just before the motor was pulled.

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I have had a single outlet header on my 258 from either the late 80s early 90s I don't remember when I installed. It helps some with the power but I also installed the Mopar fuel injection about the same time. I keep a moderate size muffler on it because I don't like listening to loud exhaust all day when crawling. 3" collector down to single 2 1/2" exhaust. The Header was bought through Clifford Engineering the 6=8 guys.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I had one on my 258 from before my ownership. I had nothing but problems; it would loosen the intake bolts and cause it to miss. I would have to do a major tightening once a year. I finally removed last year and found a OEM cast iron to put back on.

laffman

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Imlay City
State
MI
I've been running a Borla header with a Super 44 Offroad muffler on my '90 Wrangler's 258 the last 2 years. Nice little rumble. Not too obnoxious unless you put your foot into it, which I do a lot running around the sand dunes. Then the engine roars. Not that tin can sound. Haven't had any problems yet. Friend had a CJ5 that the PO put a Clifford dual header on. We thought it had a SBC first time we saw it because it sounded so nice. It was running Cherry Bombs but with small tailpipes, maybe 1.5"-1.75".

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I had a clifford single outlet on my first 8. Also had a holley 4bbl and clifford intake. The engine had plenty of power and sounded good with a plan jane muffler. Not sure what just the muffler would do as it had them on it when i bought it. It rusted out in about 12 years. Never had a problem with it.

Sent from my SM-J320P

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I am running a Holley 4bbl, offy intake and have a single outlet Borla header. I like the sound a lot. I will try to post up a video of it today. When I picked up this engine, it had the carb and the intake but had a dual output header. I wanted to run a single exhaust so switched to the Borla.

I like it.

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Well I have it lined up to get installed on the 11th. Now the decision is how to finish the tail pipes. I love the rumble that I am hoping that it will give with the new set up. Don't bash me for having it installed by a shop. I am scared to death of breaking a bolt off in the block while removing the old manifold and I would have to take it to the exhaust shop anyway to have the pipe run so might as well let them do it all. 200 bucks for the whole thing didn't sound awful to me. Free mufflers and 50 dollar header I ain't in it that deep anyway. What is your vote on how to run the pipes out? By the way....here is the best video that I have found on the sound....and it is a Scrambler!
https://youtu.be/b1g0aFOlaFw

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
I have had a single outlet header on my 258 from either the late 80s early 90s I don't remember when I installed. It helps some with the power but I also installed the Mopar fuel injection about the same time. I keep a moderate size muffler on it because I don't like listening to loud exhaust all day when crawling. 3" collector down to single 2 1/2" exhaust. The Header was bought through Clifford Engineering the 6=8 guys.
I've done the same as don87401 for the same reasons and with the same other mods.
The only difference from don87401 is that my header is 10 years old and is one of those Ebay chinese knockoffs with the accordion bellows from about circa 2006.

I have no complaints after ~10 years and 10,000 miles.

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Mine runs straight back down the left inside the frame, Muffler is between the skid plate and rear axle, up over the axle and out in front of rear spring hanger between the spring and the frame behind the left rear tire.

CJ-8_Jim

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
NW Chicago Suburb
State
IL
Mine runs straight back down the left inside the frame, Muffler is between the skid plate and rear axle, up over the axle and out in front of rear spring hanger between the spring and the frame behind the left rear tire.
X2 ... that's the same setup as mine (probably the OEM routing).

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Before Headers and True Duals

Jeep went to the shop Friday for them to work in getting the headers and exhaust installed. Decided to dump downwards before the rear axle to save money on having all that pipe bent. And I have a 18 gallon poly tank so it complicated going straight out the back. Here is the before video....cant wait to get it back!
[video=youtube_share;6M49DOUmGRI]https://youtu.be/6M49DOUmGRI[/video]