• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Wide track axles

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
So the CJ8 Scrambled build is moving along and I had a quick opportunity the other day to open up the AMC 20 rear. It is a mess. Instead of spending money on rebuilding that rear..I found a Ford 9 with 3.50 gear set with wheel to wheel back spacing at 54.5". Owner didn't know what it went under but there are spring perches so I am assuming pickup or early Bronco. Price was reasonable. Are there any issues I would face modifying this to go under the 8.
I also want to source a WT 30 and put my 3.54 gear set in that. I know they are not the same ratios but my mind tells me that the difference would not create stress if just used on dirt roads. Bad Idea? Never really played with gear sets to know any better and eventually the front or rear ratio would be changed to be the same. In put is appreciated.

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
3.54 and 3.50 is fine. I have a Ford 9 in in my cj7

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Thanks. When I relocate spring perches I plan on just setting the axle so that the original perches are level and weld in new perches for my frame size and then cut off the original perches. Does the pinion angle need to be changed for the CJ application or is it good where it is now. Only other mods will be a 2.5 YJ spring conversion.
OK just looked at the rear and realized that it is spring over. Wasn't paying attention to vent stab on axle tube. So parallel set up wont work.

Last edited:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Pinion angle is set specific to your vehicle. It also depends on if you have a double cardon/CV driveshaft or a traditional driveshaft. A site like Tom woods or Adams explains how to set the angle for both.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Thanks. I will loose fit the axle to the spring perchs/leafs and rotate to get a closer angle to transfer case. From there the type of drive shaft will develop.