• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Winch Switch (dash mount)- Suggestions?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Thinking of wiring in a control switch at my console. Any suggestions on what works well (momentary or non-momentary switch, etc...)? I'm thinking of a Carling style like this;

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
That all depends on what you are trying to control with the switch.

Sent from my SM-G920V

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I have a ON/OFF toggle with a "protector" to the winch control on. A red L.E.D. for a indicator. And a longer momentary toggle for in and out. ( And "IN" and "OUT" labels and strongly recommended.............unlike mine)

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
That's kinda what I did on the TJ I just finished. I had a winch control enable switch in the overhead switch panel and the in/out direct winch control just in front of the transmission shifter.
8845e1a28773720c5981ad9f10a329b1-1.jpg
253b170ad80298bae61060d6c509afb6-1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Nice stuff there guys. I'm planning to use the safety switch I already have for my e-locker to energize the winch in/out switch also. Any thoughts about momentary switches vs continuous for the in/out control? I guess I lean more toward continuous (too dang lazy to hold my finger on the switch), but I can imagine this might not be ideal in some situations.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I would only choose momentary for the in/out winch control.

Sent from my SM-G920V

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I'm with you on holding the switch for a long duration with your finger.

How about a double throw-center off-maintained contact switch on the dash to select in/out/off, and a momentary contact foot switch for winch operation?

BTW
Thanks, you may have added another thing to my long list. :rolleyes: