• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Windshield Frame ID

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
As I collect parts and pieces for my Garage Pet, inevitably I wind up buying a duplicate; usually because I can't pass it up pricewise and/or it's condition is in better than what I already have. My question is I have three windshields. They are all different. The original has no rib and is smooth. The other one, two ribs. The last, one rib. What is the story. I know YJ's had two ribs just wondering about what they did with different models of the CJ.20210709_161930.jpg
20210709_161903.jpg
20210709_161915.jpg
Hard to see on this one but there is one rib. I know the aftermarket stuff is two rib..regardless, I am curious; not sure what I have and really would like to know what AMC did.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
My 81 is one rib. I wonered that too. I know the YJ has two but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the flat/ one rib frames.

Last edited:

urchinhead

Basic User
City
San Francisco
State
CA
My 1981 Laredo has no ribs. Original frame.

Attachments

• 2A8D0DED-9CCF-42CC-9614-FE7DC1F5AC70.jpeg
    2A8D0DED-9CCF-42CC-9614-FE7DC1F5AC70.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 10

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx

Even on the YJ? I'll have to look at my old pics but I bought 2 YJs brand new and I thought they had two ribs. I'll have to find some pics.

No, on a CJ. OP was taking about CJ windshield frames from my understanding. He just referenced YJ frames as 2 rib. I have a 2 rib on my 84 and its an after market.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
My 1981 is one rib. I don't think my top has ever been off from the looks of hardware inside.20211026_132917.jpg

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Possibly windshield frames came from different manufacturing facilities. Some made plain, some with one rib. Looking at dash grab bars, there are definitely some stamped from different dies.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I had an CJ7, all original, top never looked to have been off. It had 1 rib just above the cowl seal. If you zoom in you can see the rib. My current CJ7 (an '86) has the same 1 rib just above the cowl seal. I believe it to be original and original paint also.20170125_160547.jpg

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
0FD112E6-054E-4D97-ADCB-97DF247E80BB.jpegMy 85’ had two ribs on the original frame. The replacement frame has no ribs.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
On the ‘76-86 CJs, the no rib windshield frame was original from ‘76 until early ‘83. At some point in ‘83 production on the CJs changed over to the single rib windshield frame. The single rib lasted through the end of the CJ production in ‘86.