• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Windshield frame issues

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
So I bought the CJ-8, and have been repairing the things done to it by a previous owner.
A big one was he did NOT have windshield hinges on the frame, he used aluminum diamond plate to attach the frame to the cowls along the entire width using pop-rivets. :angry:
Dont kow why did, the cowl W/S frame sheetmetal is perfect but for the holes drilled into it for the rivets. :shrug:

Anyhow, the problem is, I have put a GOOD set of factory hinges on, and bolted the inside plates on.
When I install the soft top, it pulls the top of the windshield frame back , ALOT!
Top wont fit, Doors wont close.... :angry:

Its not flexing the W/S frame that I can see, and I dont think the cowl is flexing.
Has anyone else had this problem ?
The only way I can see to fix it is to put a full cage in a bit earlier than I expected to and run adjustable bumpers or stantions to the W/S frame like the YJ/Tj family cage.

Does anyone else have options?

thx :popcorn:

Robert Slone

Legacy Registered User
City
Spring Hope
State
NC
First, are you sure the ws and frame came off a Cj7 - 8 or is it something the po rigged?

Try laying the soft top in the sun for an hour or so to loosen it up a little bit. Make sure the ws is where you want it and close the doors. Then try putting the top on. Sounds more like the top is not giving enough and needs some stretching.

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
I figured the top would stretch, I hope it does, its a new bestop with the rail system.

the PO replaced the W/S frame with a new one....its a CJ frame, not a YJ, but I dont know if its OEM or not.

Does the CJ-8 frame have reinforcements the CJ-7 frame doesn't?

The only other thing is right now I dont have the W/S frame to cowl gasket in, it was destroyed, so I am waiting for a replacement right now. I cant belive that would offer much help though.

thoughts?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I think a big part would be the frame to cowl gasket. You'd be surpised at how much that will hold that thing in place. You can also move your windshield brackets around where the knobs screw in to put the ws frame down. If you loosen the torx bolts holding those brackets on you can adjust where the frame goes.

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
The cowl gasket will probably cure your problem. The W/S frame will move to the rear 2" without it. It is about 1/2" thick. so there is a big gap.

Once it's in place then adjust the hold down tabs of each side and the windshield will be in the correct position.:thumbsup:
Randy