Windshield frame

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
Im sure this has been covered, but cant seem to find any recent info. I need to replace the windshield frame on my 84, but im unsure of the aftermarket frames. I read an old post that said that MD Juan was making an effort to build better quality frames. Is this true? Or are they still junk? Seems like there is one happy customer for every 10 pissed off.

Thanks

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
Key Parts is supposed to have a good quality replacement available soon from the chatter I gather on Facebook.

1538664584513.png

1538664635018.png

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
I do not like any of the current remanufactured so appreciate the future availability of the Key windshield. I took a month to search for good factory used ones. It's a hard search. I found a decent factory frame that still cost more than desired. Plus, it needed work from the shop anyway.

Someone should tell Key that it also needs to make the one rib windshield for the 1983/4 to 1986 CJs.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I've talked to Tim about these Key Parts units. He said they are great quality, equal to OEM.

And if you know Tim, you know he is about as OCD as they come. If it's not perfect, he'll point out the imperfection.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
I saw that. I think they are in pre-production and no price was given. Based on the aftermarket ones I have bought/seen it will probably be the best quality.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Yeah I can imagine there will be a line for those, and a great grill would be nice also

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
There are still some good originals out there. I Recently picked up a nos grill and a no rust windlshield frame with glass.

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
I ended up buying the frame from Keyparts through a vendor in Vermont, I am now in search of new windshield glass and seal. Contacted multiple glass places in my are with no luck. Any suggestions for online vendors? I want to buy a quality seal and glass.

Thank you

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
CJ glass is the simplest thing a glass shop can make. Any shop that says they can't do it should be avoided. My current windshield cost $95 installed at my home (Craig's List vendor). I rarely hear people complain about this seal so I think most any glass gasket should work (I think I got mine from Quadratech or Morris for pretty cheap). It's the cowl seal that goes on the bottom of the frame that you need to select carefully (most of them on the market are junk, so I'd try to reuse the original if at all possible).

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
IMHO, Dont believe all of the FB chatter that these Key Parts ones are good (now, or for that matter those that have seen them) based on some of the statements above...what happened on FB the real story is they still have many key issues that make them near useless.... they didn't correct the two main issues...too much of an overlip at the bottom that the cowl seal wont fit well at all, and wiper pivot holes that are very much off and incorrectly stamped...like they took em from the YJ stamping and just removed the ribs....also there was too much overlip at the top that wont allow the hardtop to fit over or an edge so sharp it will cut your soft top over time. (requiring grinding and bodywork)

I hope hearing it said above that its the 1st of the year is "Jan 2020" as they have had this feedback from FB in their ears I hear, so I hope it gets better...but the current frame is no better and the "new" and "great" replacements that were shown to us with the same issues and false chatter was abound. People who know originals said the same thing...seemed like marketing falsehoods which to me was a little suspicious. I do agree that Key Parts makes the best panels and floor sections and all, believe me I know all about how much better their effort is on those, but they haven't gotten these frames right (yet) and my .02 is it is just too costly to make an entirely new tooling for a no rib effort and instead they are modifying existing CJ and YJ tooling already in use.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
More fake news and collusion. Thanks for the update. Maybe eventually they or someone will make a good one. The jeep community could sure use one !

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
I received the part a couple of days ago. I wont be installing it for a couple of weeks, but once I do I'll post my experience. It seems like there are no good reproduction frames out there at all, so I took a gamble based on other posts I read here.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Glad I stashed a mint condition original white paint oem frame with glass in my attic 20 years ago. Guy said it was a low milage take off. I saw it 5 years ago, buried in the back corner.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
too much of an overlip at the bottom that the cowl seal wont fit well at all, and wiper pivot holes that are very much off and incorrectly stamped...like they took em from the YJ stamping and just removed the ribs....also there was too much overlip at the top that wont allow the hardtop to fit over or an edge so sharp it will cut your soft top over time. (requiring grinding and bodywork)
I guess I need to compare my replacement that the bodyman insisted I use and my OEM used one that wasn't used. :(

Thanks Eric, I think.