Windshield -W or W/O rib?

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Why is it that I see some 80's CJ's with a "rib" that runs horizontally across the lower section of the windshield, while others are flat? This "rib" is located in proximity to the height of the wipers. The deflection of water is the only reason I can see for the purpose of this horizontal "rib".

It seems like I've heard that this is a good indication of a non-stock windshield. Is there any truth to this information? If not, what model years had this windshield rib?

OnlyinaJeepCJ

Legacy Registered User
City
Mobile
State
AL
The OEM version has a "rib" down at the cowl seal. The aftermarket WS frams have that one and the second, higher one you describe. Like any flat sheetmetal, it is weak and easily bent in a direction that can place a fold or bend along its length.....but, by adding a 3rd dimension....such as dented impression, it greatly stiffens the area. Here you go, hold a sheet of paper straight...but only by one end...not going to happen....now fold it in half and try it again with the partial fold. CJ's OEM WS frames have a history of collaps drivers side pivot mounts due to wiper arm binding. Wether it's from worn parts and age or a bad design, the aftermarket WS frames try to "help" this by copying the YJ double rib design. Has nothen to do with water shed.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
The OEM version has a "rib" down at the cowl seal.
Thanks for your response, Ed. One reason I requested the information is due to the fact that my '81 windshield doesn't have a rib, whereas my '83 has one rib. I know that the '81 WS is stock or OEM, and wanted to find out if the '83 WS was also stock. It appears now to be OEM, per the 1983 model year.

I assume then that the rib inclusion came sometime after 1981, as my '81 was manufactured mid-to-late in the year. By the way, your explanation on the purpose of the rib was great. After you noted the rib styles, I now remember seeing some with two ribs, and understand that these would then be aftermarket.

City
Richmond
State
VA
My 86 didn't have any ribs.It seems that most of the ones with a single rib are cheap offshore made units,the two rib type use thicker metal and the wiper arm holes are spaced better.