• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Wiper arms not fitting on Omix Pivots?

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Hi guys,

I am trying to get my windshield wiper system in and have an issue where the wiper arms are not properly mounting on the pivots. I used all new Omix Pivot parts:

1670730040688.png
I had to grind out the holes in my aftermarket windshield frame to get them to seat fully. I tried both Omix and Kentrol wiper arms and neither will mount properly on the splines of the Omix pivots. The pivots seem too large or not splined to match the arms. Here is a pic showing I can't fully seat them. I tried removing the paint from inside of the wiper arms, applying a light coat of oil but to go any farther, I would have to use major force and they would never come off in the future.

1670730288172.png

Has anyone experienced this? A few reviews of the Omix pivots on Amazon seem to indicate they had the same issue.

Do the Crown pivots work better? They seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Thanks!

George

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
That being the problem, I think I would check with CB or someone with a rusted out windshield frame for some originals.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
I answered my own question. I went to my storage unit and pulled my old short side pivot arm. Sure enough the splines are smaller and more numerous than the Omix version.

1670740156422.png

The wiper arm slides right on the OEM pivot.

Note: The Omix splines in the above pic are ground down a bit. I tried that to see if that would let the wiper arms slide on. But it's not the diameter it is the spline size.

I will be calling Omix and Quadratec on Monday and process a return and complain. I would be fine if the Omix wiper arms fit their pivot but they don't.

My OEM pivots and linkages are very worn and sloppy so I don't want to use them unless I can't find anything better.

So anybody thinking about using the Omix parts I posted in my first message, they won't work. The Crown equivalents are out of stock all over at the moment. @Kim Dawson had a good idea to call Collins Bros. Will see what they have to say too.

I think I'll also look for the CJ to YJ wiper conversion threads.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I have had zero luck with the omix or crown replacements. Not the same issue you had, but the linkage arms were not the tight length and bound up in action. And the arms either bent or broke the little brass piece out of the arm.

I did go with the YJ linkage, but if you want to stay stock, look for good quality used OEM linkage. I have a set I took off of a 1981 Scrambler this summer. I do not know the exact condition, but can take pics. Let me know if you want the linkage. Maybe we can work something out.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
I have had zero luck with the omix or crown replacements. Not the same issue you had, but the linkage arms were not the tight length and bound up in action. And the arms either bent or broke the little brass piece out of the arm.

I did go with the YJ linkage, but if you want to stay stock, look for good quality used OEM linkage. I have a set I took off of a 1981 Scrambler this summer. I do not know the exact condition, but can take pics. Let me know if you want the linkage. Maybe we can work something out.
@gr8dain I will speak with them (or at least try) tomorrow. And get a refund of all the parts, including the wiper arms and wipers.

I will be researching the YJ linkage conversion. In your experience, what are the main advantages to go that way? Better wiper availability? Do the wipers work any better?

My OEM windshield frame bent at one of the pivot arm holes when the linkage bound up. Does the YJ conversion help prevent the binding?

Thanks!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
@gr8dain I will speak with them (or at least try) tomorrow. And get a refund of all the parts, including the wiper arms and wipers.

I will be researching the YJ linkage conversion. In your experience, what are the main advantages to go that way? Better wiper availability? Do the wipers work any better?

My OEM windshield frame bent at one of the pivot arm holes when the linkage bound up. Does the YJ conversion help prevent the binding?

Thanks!

To me the advantage was that there was no binding. The linkage is a wider metal and not as prone to bending/binding. Also, in my area, it is easier to get replacement wiper blades. I would have to order the CJ blades as none of the parts places cary them on the shelf. Even napa.

At the time I did the swap, I was not sure if the binding was due to my fiberglass windshield and maybe the holes were not lined up exactly right, but I doubt it. Even though I now have a steel windshield frame, I chose to do it again since the YJ linkage has worked so well for me since and the wipers work so smoothly and much quieter.

The downside is that you need to open up the pivot holes.

As for the bend at the pivot holes, I hear that adding washers helps thicken the area and adds rigidity. I did not do that when I put the YJ linkage into the steel windshield frame. So far so good.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Thanks for all of your input Dain.

I only had time to call Omix today. (not Quadratec) They guy there was not too familiar with these parts. He did pull up their notes files on the 19105.04 and 19105-06. He didn't see any entries about not fitting the wiper arms.

He is going to try and have someone pull them and their 19710.02 wiper arms and test fit them - so they can fix them if there is an isssue.

I did tell him I will be posting a user review on the Quadratec site to warn others of the issue.

I found the below kit that looks good and offers complete adjustability, but I will be going with the YJ conversion. My wife has a 95 YJ and we have never had any issues. We have driven it on trails in the winter going many hours with the wipers on. Including wiping off some heavy snow.

1670894732784.png

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
gpassida the kit you showed from Barney’s is for the CJ ? Or a YJ ?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Thanks for all of your input Dain.

… I will be going with the YJ conversion. My wife has a 95 YJ and we have never had any issues. We have driven it on trails in the winter going many hours with the wipers on. Including wiping off some heavy snow.

Not a problem at all. As for the snow, before my YJ wiper conversion, I was driving home from work and the snow was falling hard and fast. They called it snowmaggedon here. The CJ wipers gave up. The linkage inside the windshield cam all apart. The short linkage hit me in the chest and the driver side wiper/arm/pivot blew off onto the pile of snow on the hood. I stopped so that I could collect my parts. Then I continued on with my arm out the window using a snow brusk to clear my view. Fun times.

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
I'm not seeing any rubber or leather seal under the big pivot arm nut. @gr8dain do you remember if there was a seal?

I am getting a complete linkage assembly off ebay so if there is one, it should be there under the nut.

1670995826432.png

gpassida

Basic User
Silver Member
City
Redding
State
Ca
Speaking of snow. Here are some pics of the last Rubicon trip I did before starting my teardown. I've run the Rubicon Trail a number of times and this trip was brutal. The first day we went from Loon Lake all the way to Rubicon Springs. And it was alternating rain, snow and hail. Cold wet rubber on cold wet rocks does not yield much traction. We got into the Springs and I was exhausted. The red YJ (not my wife's) rolled near Buck Island Lake.

You can see I only had one wiper working! That's my son in he pic who is now deployed overseas with the Marine Corps.

1670996024290.png

Me helping the YJ through some rocks during ball bearing size hail:

1670996150609.png

Winching the YJ back over:
1670996263323.png

My buddy Mike's clean and extremely capable Scrambler on 37's:
1670996408223.png

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I'm not seeing any rubber or leather seal under the big pivot arm nut. @gr8dain do you remember if there was a seal?

I am getting a complete linkage assembly off ebay so if there is one, it should be there under the nut.

View attachment 107163

I did not have a seal/gasket between the nut on the pivot and the windshield frame. Don’t remember ever having one with the CJ linkage. But the YJ uses a plastic nut that is “softer” and less likely to ruin the paint.