jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
So I've been driving the xj back and forth to school and it's doing really well. Despite it being for sale I kinda feel the desire to put some of the interior back in it to make it a little more comfortable. The headliner was pretty nappy and sagging in places but the backer board is in decent shape. Tonight I gently pulled the cloth away which revealed a couple layers. One a kinda dried out grey foam and the other the stiffer fiber board that gives it its structure. I had purchased some nice vinyl last year with this in mind but to be honest, I'm not sure of the best way to stick them together.
Should I sand/scrape the grey foam off and glue directly to the panel?
Leave the foam?
As the vinyl has kind of its own cloth type backing... will it stick?
Lastly, I have a couple cans of 3M adhesive spray (77 I think). Is that gonna work or do I need a different glue?
Sorry for the non Scrambler question. I just know there are some talented folks here and am hoping someone has some ideas. [emoji41]

Last edited:

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
OK, I have done a couple of headliners on several of my non-Scrambler vehicles. 1. Remove the foam. It was the padding under the original headliner. The new material won't stick to it. 2. 3M Super 77 works ok, but they (3M) actually makes a headliner adhesive. 82, I think. 3. Since you are using vinyl, I would recommend glueing a padding between the vinyl and the backer board. The place that I work at is a full service shop for private and business jets. The guys in the interior completions shop that do the headliners and sidewalls glue 1/8" foam to the backer boards, then glue the topping material to the foam. This makes for a smoother surface and gives the material some padding so it doesn't tear if something pushes against it. Hope this helps.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Thanks for the tips. I will see about removing the old foam tomorrow (unless it snows), hopefully it just scrapes off easy.
I'm actually pondering using bedliner. This Jeep has been pretty stripped out and a more bare-bones/utilitarian mindset applied. I'm thinking I may scrap the replacement fabric I bought and instead, spray it with the same bedliner as the rest of the interior. I have several rolls of peelNseal which I think I'll apply to the top side of the headliner board. The foil side should reflect heat while the (tar?) other add some sound deadening. I'll play with that after the bedliner is on and cured...