• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

YJ door panel plastic screws

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
I have late 80's YJ half doors on my Scrambler. I pulled off the faded gray interior panels, cleaned them up, and sprayed them black with vinyl color spray (they look great). My tub interior is going to be black linex so these should look pretty good with it. I want to replace the plastic door panel scews with new ones so they stay nice and tight. Does anyone know where you can buy these in packages on the web? I have been to all the local auto parts places but nothing they have matches. I am sure the local Jeep place would be only too happy to sell them too me at about $2 each! There has to be a source out there someplace.

Richard

Crossbones

Charter Member
City
Richmond
State
Va
Oh screw

Hey Richard, how about stainless? West Marine has a good selection of oval,
tapered, flat, etc. By the way I saw your 44 front last night. What color paint is that?? Just kid'n I've one painted the same, I like the hammer finish.
Robert

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
That's gun metal gray, Crossbones. Not really the color I thought it would be but I like it. Under the Scrambler it will look black anyway. Ted has done an outstanding job on the axle. Can't wait to get them installed with my new Alcan springs!

The YJ door panels are kheld on by hidden plastic pins, not really screws, that twist into a hole on the back of the panels. You center the panel over the holes and smack it hard to force the plastic pins inside the hole. There are kind of rings around the plastic pin that hold it there. Can't really see a screw, stainless or otherwise, functioning in the same way.

I know a lot of people use YJ half doors. Surely I am not the only one who has taken them apart.

Scored a connection with a body man/auto painter last night. The guy used to work for the body shop that did all of Haynes Jeep's painting. He is going to fix my side panel/fender weld spots and repaint the Jeep. Taking it to him Saturday morning. If he does as good a job on mine as the other vehicles he's painted I have seen I will be very pleased! Price is very good, too! I told him I had three more Jeep projects that needed painting also.

Crossbones

Charter Member
City
Richmond
State
Va
Hey Richard, now that I've reread your post I see that it says "scews" not
"screws". I've got Wrangler 1/2 doors too & was wondering where your "screws" were. One place that has a lot of resto parts is the www.jeepdoc.com I'd bet if they don't have "scews" they know who does.
What color are you painting your Scrambler?
Robert

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Your paint and body man ought to be able to get some for you, I bet they get them by the box full.

Truck

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Richard, I've bought those things in the 'Help' section at auto parts stores before. I'm sure you can find them there. On the body guy, call me before you take it (or I'll PM you). If it's a certain guy I know of, be very cautious. I'll explain in a phone call, if it's him.

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
scews...screws...whatever it takes...

I've bought those things in the 'Help' section at auto parts stores
I also saw them at the Automotive paint store. I bought a bunch of those little small doo-dads that hold on the seal around the tailgate...

Crossbones

Charter Member
City
Richmond
State
Va
The "Big Weasel"

John could you be talking about the same guy who worked on my Scrambler 5 years ago :confused: If that's so then Richard should call you & me too.
Actually I may have talked to Richard about him before. Nice work....BUT!!!
Robert

Last edited:

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
I will check the automotive paint stores. NAPA, AutoZone and several of the other parts places do not have the ones that match these.

Crossbones, "scews" are what the keyboard challenged with fat fingers get when they try to type in a hurry. That's why I played base guitar in the rock band when I was in high school - fingers were too fat to play a six string.

On the body/paint guy, its not the same one. This guy has painted a bunch of stuff for the local farmers up here and I have looked at bunch of it - looks really good. He's got s paint shop set up in one of the big barns on a local farm.

I was considering changing colors (white) but I guess I will stay with Jamacian Beige.