• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

YJ L model???

questknight

Basic User
City
Whiteland
State
IN
I have recently read in JP Magazine that Jeep produced a long wheel base Wrangler overseas with some foreign partner... Has anyone ever seen any of them in the U.S. or Canada? It was referred to as a YJ-L according to the magazine article. Some time ago, I posted a thread about this and the replies I received showed something similar but not exactly on the mark. Any leads on one of these Jeeps will be appreciated.

MudEgg

MudEgg
City
Floyd
State
VA
Sign-Up

I think if you move to Israel and join the IDF you might get the chance to drive one. :D

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
MudEgg said:
I think if you move to Israel and join the IDF you might get the chance to drive one. :D
Actually you don't have to join the IDF to get one. They're sold under the name "Storm" as a civilian version. Now, if you want the armor and machine guns.....

N

n9viw

It was essentially a YJ made from leftover Scrambler bits. The Scrambler sold so poorly here that they didn't want to bother with it anymore, but they knew they were selling well overseas as utility vehicles. That's why they only offered them for export.
I've seen these around, where people just take Scramblers and swap Wrongler noses onto them. Not a look I like, but it's one way to get the look if that's what you want.

questknight

Basic User
City
Whiteland
State
IN
n9viw said:
It was essentially a YJ made from leftover Scrambler bits. The Scrambler sold so poorly here that they didn't want to bother with it anymore, but they knew they were selling well overseas as utility vehicles. That's why they only offered them for export.
I've seen these around, where people just take Scramblers and swap Wrongler noses onto them. Not a look I like, but it's one way to get the look if that's what you want.

It is not the "look" that I am interested in... I am interested in the box tube frame and drive train set up as well as the (hopefully) better steel body tub. I know that you can buy all the components after market and or custom but I would like to save a little coin and maybe tracking one of these YJ-L's may be the way to go. Did any of them end up in Canada or Mexico???

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
What's wrong with the boxed frame on CJs?

Are you just looking for fuel injection when you mention drivetrain, do you think of that's better in a YJ than a CJ except the 4.0 EFI?

Dana 35s, Pujegots and square headlights scare me ;)

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
YJ's actually seem to have a stronger frame than CJ's do.

Also I would bet that export versions might have DANA 44's. I know that export versions of the Cherokee and Grand came with them. Used to be that Currie and JPOffroad were offering Paletized sets of DANA 44's front and reat that had been planned to have been used in export cherokee's. Now tell me that is wrong, that DC sent better stuff out of the borders than you could get here.

Great thing about those axles was that they were drop in replacements for TJ's with track-locks and 4.10 gears.

Carl

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
The Storm is produced in Israel. It was/is available with a Dana 60 rear and a 44 front.

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Pics.

Found a pic of one for you. This what you're talking about?

questknight

Basic User
City
Whiteland
State
IN
bigwalton said:
What's wrong with the boxed frame on CJs?

Are you just looking for fuel injection when you mention drivetrain, do you think of that's better in a YJ than a CJ except the 4.0 EFI?

Dana 35s, Pujegots and square headlights scare me ;)

The problem with a CJ frame is that it is not a true "box." It is two "C" channels welded together not to mention the prominent rust issues. I think that these frames and drive trains may be somewhat more user friendly for a nice Scrambler build up.

MudEgg

MudEgg
City
Floyd
State
VA
Pic Link

Here's one I haven't seen before:

1988-1995 Wrangler Long

This unusual long-wheelbase version of the YJ Wrangler was popular in Venezuela and was still made by Chrysler in small numbers as late as 1995, in the city of Valencia. The steel hard top was available on both short and long Wranglers until 1990, and then became unique to the long version. Both versions used the same 4.2L (until 1990) and 4.0L sixes. Production of Wranglers in Venezuela has declined with the economy in recent years, and as of 1997 the TJ has not been produced at all. (Derek Redmond)

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/Universal_Jeep.htm