Yj leaf spring conversion

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
Hello,

I just purchased some YJ front leaf springs and boomerang shackles for my 84 scrambler. Looking at the parts I need to make them fit. I don't want to pay $400 + on a complete kit from BDS or such. Can I just use yj factory plates and the M.O.R.E. Perch hanger kit? Am I missing something? Will this work or not? I've read so many threads on this, and still don't have a clear understanding.

image.png image.png image.png

Thank you all.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
You can use a YJ right front spring plate on the right front, and a CJ right rear plate on the left front. That will give you the correct bolt spacing, and mounting lugs for your sway bar.

The YJ perches (or CJ rear perches) should work, as long as the bolt holes line up.

Have fun! :cheers:

City
Raleigh
State
Nc
You can use a YJ right front spring plate on the right front, and a CJ right rear plate on the left front. That will give you the correct bolt spacing, and mounting lugs for your sway bar.

The YJ perches (or CJ rear perches) should work, as long as the bolt holes line up.

Have fun! :cheers:
Appreciate the info. Another question, do I use cj or yj u bolts? Or are they the same?

Thanks

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
CJ u-bolts. YJs are different on the left side, which is also why you can't use the YJ left side front spring plate.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
What CJ-7Pilot says is true - provided the spring plates have two posts (one for the shock mount and one for the sway bar). The crown photo you have shown only looks to have one post (which even if you don't run a sway bar, the shock mount will be on the wrong side of the axle tube).

You'll also probably need to grind the differential housing a little to allow clearance for the inner passenger side U-bolt since it rides 1/4" farther in due to the wider spring/.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I forgot about the possibility of needing a mounting post for the shock absorber.

Mine mounts to the axle tube, so it was not an issue for me, but they are not all that way.

It shouldn't be difficult to weld a stud on to the spring plate though, if you need it.