• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

YJ Scrambler???

questknight

Basic User
City
Whiteland
State
IN
I have seen a YJ Scrambler in some magazines in foreign countries but none in the US... Have any of these YJ Scramblers been sold and or found in North America? I would love to track one down and find out more about them. Can someone enlighten me?

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
questknight said:
I have seen a YJ Scrambler in some magazines in foreign countries but none in the US... Have any of these YJ Scramblers been sold and or found in North America? I would love to track one down and find out more about them. Can someone enlighten me?

Some guys put the front YJ clip on their Scramblers but the official Jeep Scrambler was a CJ 8 made from 1981 to 1986, at least in USA.

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
questknight said:

Some guys put the front YJ clip on their Scramblers but the official Jeep Scrambler was a CJ 8 made from 1981 to 1986, at least in USA.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
I've only heard of these being made in Venezuela. They weren't called Scramblers, though, I think they were called YJ-L.

mtruckstuff

Back Home in Colorado
City
Loveland
State
CO
Check this site out!

http://www.ail.co.il/index.htm

Civilian Version
forum

Armored Version (I want one of these!!!)
forum

For a number of years this company has been building KD Jeeps for the civilian and military market in Israel. As you can see they build a YJ-looking unit with an extended Scrambler-like tub. Over the years you may have seen these vehicles on the TV news, primarily in shots of Israeli military ops. As far as I know, none have been exported here, probably because of U.S.safety and emissions requirements. Hope this helps a little.

Paul

Last edited:
N

n9viw

I know what he's talking about, and it wasn't made by a foreign country. Our very own Chrysler (now DC) DID make LWB YJs, but ONLY for export. Some also had diesel engines... <wistful sigh>
There's really no difference between the LWB YJ and a Scrambler with a YJ front end on it, so if that's the look you like, that's the easiest way to go about it. I never was a fan of the YJ front end myself (angles and rect. headlights), but I guess some people like it... <shrug>

wdglide

Basic User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
I'm back and forth on whether I like mine. However, since I don't have the $$ to do anything about - I like it for now.

58_3.JPG

questknight

Basic User
City
Whiteland
State
IN
A couple of you had the right idea...

A couple of you hit the nail on the head... I think that the information about the YJ-L is the right idea. I have seen some information about these before and know that they are set up like a YJ Wrangler from the drive train and differential perspective. I am just trying to find one in this hemisphere. I would like to covert one to a CJ front end. I would like to see how it would compare with "old school" Scramblers. With a little wider stance and the YJ style suspension I think it could be a fun way to go. If anyone finds information about one of these in this part of the world I'd like to know.

scrambler81

Basic User
City
Hammonton
State
NJ
There was a dealer in the southwest, I think around Phoenix, that used to advertise the parts to build the lwb Wrangler. You could get the frame and the tub, then use all of the standard Wrangler equipment to finish it. I'm afraid I've only saved a handful of my old 4WD mags, so I doubt I can still find the ad.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
scrambler81 said:
There was a dealer in the southwest, I think around Phoenix, that used to advertise the parts to build the lwb Wrangler. You could get the frame and the tub, then use all of the standard Wrangler equipment to finish it. I'm afraid I've only saved a handful of my old 4WD mags, so I doubt I can still find the ad.

That is correct...I remember that as well. They were selling the frames & tubs that were for the South American market. I've always seen Venezuela mentioned...that would be it for this hemisphere, the rest were in Israel. Don't much see the point in putting the effort and expense into acquiring one of these just to put a CJ front clip on it, and I'm pretty much the master of Jeep retro-fits & mods that don't have much point other than the exercise in doing them ;) The YJ suspension is just a minor tweak of the CJ suspension (wider leaves up front, softer springs, trac bars).

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
questknight said:
A couple of you hit the nail on the head... I think that the information about the YJ-L is the right idea. I have seen some information about these before and know that they are set up like a YJ Wrangler from the drive train and differential perspective. I am just trying to find one in this hemisphere. I would like to covert one to a CJ front end. I would like to see how it would compare with "old school" Scramblers. With a little wider stance and the YJ style suspension I think it could be a fun way to go. If anyone finds information about one of these in this part of the world I'd like to know.

If this is all you want to do... I'm not certain if tracking down an "authentic" YJ-L is worth the effort given the supposed premium it would be worth.

Between the YJ and CJ tub both the front clips and dash interchange. There might be a requirement to weld some small mounting tabs or whatever (thinking dash) but that is trivial.

As for the suspension, swapping the parts back and forth should be no big deal again. There are YJ suspension kits for CJs out there. As for engine, tranmission, t-case these are easy enough to swap (if the above hasn't scared you then you can do this too probably). Axles, no biggie. If you have plans to build for wheeling then chances are you want to replace either the CJ or YJ axles eventually. (44 front, 9" rear is a nice, manageable sweet spot).

If it's just the look you are after, swap the front clip and dash and call it done.

scrambler013

Basic User
City
Erie
State
PA
I am trying to get one of these the hard way too. I will have 2 YJ frames here soon and I am going to make it to the specs(as close as I can) to the Scrambler frame. Take a CJ-8 tub and go to town. Makin' it myself. I realize there are easier ways to do it but the one frame is a 94 and I have the VIN and title so I can make it and register it, under an R title tho. Not sure how it is going to turn out, but I think it is worth the effort to make it myself.

Matt

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
scrambler013 said:
I am trying to get one of these the hard way too. I will have 2 YJ frames here soon and I am going to make it to the specs(as close as I can) to the Scrambler frame.

Sounds cool, Matt. Just keep in mind that the YJ frames are wider, and I'm not sure if CJ axles will work. You may have to (or want to) run YJ axles, or upgraded axles of some sort.

Craig

scrambler013

Basic User
City
Erie
State
PA
Yeah I have been looking into exactly what I need to do to make it work. I know that I am going to need to add to the wheelbase and add to the frame behind the rear spring hanger to get the tail dragging. As far as axles, I am going with YJ axles and possibly either an 8.25 or a D44 for the rear. The front I will use a standard YJ D30.
So basically I am, at this point, researching the project so the input is always welcome since I know I am going to overlook something.:D I hope that I will be able to start it sometime in Aug or Sept. When I do I will have a thread here to show progress.

Thanks for the comment and input,
Matt

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
scrambler013 said:
Yeah I have been looking into exactly what I need to do to make it work. I know that I am going to need to add to the wheelbase and add to the frame behind the rear spring hanger to get the tail dragging. As far as axles, I am going with YJ axles and possibly either an 8.25 or a D44 for the rear. The front I will use a standard YJ D30.
So basically I am, at this point, researching the project so the input is always welcome since I know I am going to overlook something.:D I hope that I will be able to start it sometime in Aug or Sept. When I do I will have a thread here to show progress.

Thanks for the comment and input,
Matt

This isn't directly applicable I guess but it might stir some ideas.

Unlimited Analysis

FWIW, in the end I bought a Scrambler. A C101 at a local wrecker still haunts me though.

scrambler013

Basic User
City
Erie
State
PA
Might not apply, but that is some great information. I know that it would be easer to buy another Scrambler, but I have never been known to take the easy route.:D That and I am always trying to learn new things and this project will give me the fabrication experience that I want to get. Wow, it just hit me, I am almost 30 and still can't weld worth a crap.:eek: Plus it will be a one off, and totally unique to Erie, PA, heck unique to the USA. I dunno, just seems like a fun project and the reward in the end will be worth it. A home built CJ8, I like that. :)

Matt

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
I hear ya.

I was thinking of doing something non-Scrambler length. My big thing was getting a soft top that works and doesn't look like ***. You can contract that out to a boat top maker or whatever but then you are pretty much limited to a snap style top and potentially lose some of the nicer design features of the aftermarket tops that are available for Jeeps (unless you are willing to pay through the nose of course).

As for welding, the quickest way to get proficient is take some community college courses. Very good time spent doing that. You'll ramp up faster than trying to get a friend to show you or screwing around on your own. At least that is my experience.