• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

YJ Springs or Just Keep Rollin?

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Hey guys, as I am swapping axles, I thought...maybe a YJ spring conversion? And then I had questions that maybe you can gut check me with. As this is my first Jeep to mess with other than keep running, I don't have the experience of constant swapping or really anything to compare with.

Currently I have a Superlift 2.5 inch lift with 2.5 inch springs in back and 2 inch up front. I think the lift was installed 22 years ago by the previous owner. The leaves seem to be in OK shape, just dirty / grimy from age. Not rusty though.

I'm torn between just pulling the springs out and apart and cleaning, repainting them and reinstalling...OR buying fresh springs.

1) Will a YJ spring conversion make much difference over what I have?
2) Will a paint job and grease/teflon pads get these springs back to a nice ride?
3) Some "kits" are $1000 for a YJ conversion...since the back is ALREADY 2.5 inches wide, do I even need to swap those????
4) I'm not wanting to lift it further, I'd just be putting in another 2.5 inch kit.

Thoughts or experience? I have been looking at the OME kit from Rocky-Road.

Thanks, Jeff

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I rebuilt a BDS 4" lift and replaced the pads and bushings. It rides really well and the springs do flex better now. This may make the old springs flex/ride better, but it doesn't do anything to help the sagging/squish of old springs.

I think a quality replacement CJ front spring (OME/BDS/Rubicon Express) will perform pretty similarly to a 2.5" YJ kit for less money. I would also get quality shocks. They really help with ride quality as well.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
What axles are you swapping to? If other than CJ I would.

1) I see more of a positive feel in the front with the conversion.

2) No experience

3&4) No need for the full kit. You can buy just the shackles and new front spring, IIRC the Rubicon Express YJ conversion shackles add approx 1/2". Not buying new rear springs may/could leave you lower in the rear. Could add a leaf.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
OME springs are YJ springs, and will need wider hangers and shackles in front... and it's worth it!

I went from unknown 2.5-ish lift CJ springs, to the 2.5" OME YJ setup. The difference in ride was even better than I expected, especially on washboard dirt roads.

Some people have had trouble getting complete kits from Rocky-Road Outfitters. I only bought their hangers though (front and rear), and was very happy with their service and with the quality of their product. These hangers add almost 1/2" lift by themselves.

I bought OME springs and M.O.R.E. YJ shackles from Amazon, and used some Rancho shocks that I already had on hand.

I used a YJ right front spring plate on the right front, and a CJ right rear spring plate on the left front. I don't recommend this, because the rear CJ shock mount is where the sway bar attaches, and it hangs lower than the YJ front sway bar stud on the other side (which accentuates an already prominent "lean" on my Jeep). I recommend using front YJ plates on both sides, and grind the u-bolt holes to fit on the left side... or, just buy conversion spring plates like most people do. ;)

On top of all that, I have 1" lift body bushings. All together, that gives me pretty good clearance for 33x10.5 BFGs.

slot mags - 1.jpeg

Have fun!

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I haven’t driven mine yet, but I went with BDS YJ fronts with. 2.5” lift. I didn’t like the “kit” price, so I cobbled mine together. Front and rear BDS YJ springs, MORE hangers, front Crown YJ spring plates, and I already had u-bolts. I had to weld and redrill the Crown spring plates, but the $ savings was worth it at the time. I would advise against going with the RE conversion shackles- they move side to side too much. The MORE hangers are a much better solution, and then use a set of good rear shackles up front. Plus they allow for the extra length of the YJ spring.

I did the same type of conversion on Copper, just with a 4.5” lift. I was extremely happy, and it handles great. I even had it north of 100 mph with no issues!3BD6FFEF-780D-4461-A4AE-65DC535EA6C2.jpegYou can see the front conversion here- sorta.DA85C886-9E1B-4C8D-9E53-24B70CB3DB2A.jpegPlenty of clearance with the BDS 2.5” springs. These are 31”, looks like 33’s would fit.

Last edited:

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Hey
Spankr - what kind of car shelter is this and does it do the job and stay put? I'm looking for one as my wife wants to get our Scrambler painted but I have no car port or garage and a LOT of trees and birds. (seriously blown away she's gunning for this)
CarPort.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The car canopy/tent thing is from Harbor Freight. They work fine for rain and light wind. They will NOT survive Cat 2 or higher hurricanes, or heavy snow. I speak from experience on the hurricane part.

It fits a Scrambler just fine, will keep it dry/out of the elements. This one is a few years old, I had to "Redneck Ray" it back together after Hurricane Zeta last year.

20210413_175440.jpg

20210413_175447.jpg

MikeV

Always learning
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Monroe
State
NY
I had the exact same canopy over my scrambler in the warm months for 4 years. Bone dry for rain and light winds but the snow eventually did it in. I thought it was a good product for what I paid. When the jeep was away for the winter I stuffed everything in it to free up space in the garage. I remember someone mentioning this but I did use heavy-duty stakes because what it comes with were not up to the job.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Holy Crap!!! 100?? I thought 90 felt pretty ballsy. You are iron man!!

Thanks for the feedback!!! I'm just going to do it. Only live once!!
Would I move from ballsy to crazy if I told you it was actually closer to 120? Copper was amazingly stable and handled fantastic. Several Jeepers commented how there were no squeaks or pops as I ran the steering lock to lock backing a trailer. Short shackles, tight bushings with good lube, and perfect steering geometry are the recipe. Disclaimer- I only hit that high speed once when everything was new and super tight. I did cruise at 80 on a regular basis, however.